Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2 Questions-Goodyear Kevlars

Old 02-04-2011, 05:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That is SOOOOO true!

Each time I have ANYTHING done to the rig, 2 other things get messed up.

As for the tire thing; look you have one of the best tires on the planet right now for EVERY application. ( I run Kevlar 38s ) As for the orientation, as long as it's SAFE (may have to ask the Good Year people), who cares what people think. That single row of huge lugs is one of the most spaced out available and frankly, I wish they had them on the outside on purpose!

PS. Your rig ROCKS!!!

Originally Posted by thelouv
A very slow search of the Goodyear web site showed a pic confirming I do have them mounted incorrectly. Guess my question now moves to: are there any adverse effects of doing this? I see so many people who mount their tires with white letters in (although usually not really a directional tread pattern) I'd guess someone could do the same with these.
Can you tell I really don't wanna go through dismounting and remounting. Any time anyone other than me touches the vehicle, something always gets buggered up.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Loadbreak
So why did you guys get the MTRs with the white letters? The Goodyear site has listed which are white letters and which are black per tire size.
My goodyear place only could find me all black ones. I dont know they made all black ones.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:36 PM
JK Newbie

So they are on the Jeep and I have to say I am not completely thrilled. But the price was good enough (used, only 200 miles before I got em) to allow me to now have this set of 35s and keep the previous set of 33 General ATs. So that I am happy with.
Now first, I started with about 40# put by the tire mounters and quickly knew I needed to run lower. I incrementally dropped till I found currently 26-27# seems to be the sweet spot for even wear (tested with grease pencil markings across the tread) and ride comfort. These are 35x12.5 load C on 9" rims. Am I running too low or could I go safely lower?
Second, look at how the tread was mounted (don't pay attention to the spare-simply white letters out there). I could not find any directional markings on the tire to indicate which way they should be and I've spotted other vehicles with them both ways. The 4 are black on both sides so that gave me no indication either. Is there a correct or incorrect rotational direction?
Thanks in advance for any genuine knowledge here. Preciate it!

You running spacers? Looks great....
Old 02-07-2011, 09:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nope, no spacers. Simply 17x9 DC-2s. Thanks for the compliment!

And the four on the ground are black on both sides. Only the spare is OWL.

Actually one of the four now has Yellow Outlined Letters. Thanks to Lockharts tire pen. Pain in the a-- to do though. Think I'm gonna just do the spare in yellow for kicks and clean it off the one I did so far. Looks really sharp from 5 feet off but it would probably take 8 pens and as many hours to do Goodyear Wrangler on 4 tires.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Start of the yellow: this alone took about 45 minutes

Old 02-08-2011, 04:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice lettering! I wonder about longevity though, since you say you can clean it off?
Old 02-08-2011, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yea, I had read in another thread how a guy used a wire brush to clean his off after it showed signs of abuse. I just plan to use a brillo pad and a wire brush as back-up. He was cleaning it off to redo it. Of course the longevity completely depends on where the tires go, like the mall or Moab. I'd guess if I do the spare, it'll probobly look good till I need the spare on the ground or on a trail. Hopefully it'll look good forever!
Old 02-08-2011, 08:11 AM
JK Newbie

While we are at it, this has a Rubicon Express 3.5" lift. I was told by the company doing the lift, given I am intending to do some off roading as I have in my past 3 wranglers, I should trim that corner of metal seam created at the bottom of the rear wheel housing at the front of the wheels.
Anyone?
Here's a pretty good writeup on modifying the pinch weld and rubi-rails.

http://www.*********.com/forum/f96/p...222-a-1128493/

well I guess JK won't let me post a link to another forum. I'll send it via PM.

Quick Reply: 2 Questions-Goodyear Kevlars