Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2 Questions-Goodyear Kevlars

Old 01-20-2011, 05:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Goodyear put the white letters on the wrong side of the tires.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just put a second coat of Millers Tire Paint on. So far I'm really liking the stuff, goes on easy. The letters now look they have tire dressing on them. After the first coat I let it dry for about two days, then took my thumb and scuffed up the letters. Paint did not come off but it did dull the shine. When the paint is dry it almost feels like rubber. I can't see this stuff coming off under daily driving or washing. I'm sure with heavy wheeling I will see the white start to show though.

For $20 bucks you get a 32oz bottle you mix half and half with water. I used maybe 2oz to do the two coats and it takes about 5 minutes with a foam brush to apply it to all 5 ties. Is it the perfect solution, not really but it works.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:37 PM
JK Freak

So why did you guys get the MTRs with the white letters? The Goodyear site has listed which are white letters and which are black per tire size.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

In my case, I ordered them online from 4wheel parts with wheels. I asked for the tires to be mounted with the black out. I didn't know and neither did they that GY had a recommended way to mount them. When I discovered it, they paid to have them mounted correctly. If I had known it, I would have ordered a different tire.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Same for me, listened to the shop when I bought them. They told me they could be mounted either way. Just figured they knew what they where talking about. I guess that should have been my first mistake. LOL
Old 01-23-2011, 06:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BETO73
I'm not joking lol.
That happened to me while I was at the tire shop, took almost 15 minutes of thinking, then realized they just had to be switched to the opposite side!
Or just turned around.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default How long do they last???

What kind of longevity is everybody seeing on the Goodyear’s???
Old 01-30-2011, 10:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PhxRainey
What kind of longevity is everybody seeing on the Goodyear’s???
Bout 200 miles so far! I'll have to get back to ya on that one.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

So I gotta rejuvenate this thread for some added tire related info kinda.

I was chasing a vibration in the steering wheel from 40-50 mph. Was almost beginning to worry about the DW thing I have read about. Kinda remember having it very slightly with the 33s (General AT2s) but it got much worse with these Kevlar 35s. Since I kept finding wheel weights on my garage floor, the little sticky ones, I guessed I needed to get someone else to rebalance the wheels for me. So I go to an old-school type of shop that balances on the vehicle. He calls me out to the shop when he gets started to show me how the wheel is actually wobbling?! He asks if I still have the washers on the studs. I do remember them being there I tell him. So he asks if I'm missing any. I dunno? We pull the first wheel and ha, I'm missing 1. He points out how the back of the Dick Cepek wheel does not accommodate for the thickness of these thin washers. We pull them all off and perfect!! No wobble at all. A quick test drive after removing the washers from all wheels (of which I was missing randomly 1 or 2 from 3 wheels) and no more vibration at all. We did balance the front wheels while we were at it. Maybe it's just my experience but I have never had this before. I have been through multiple vehicles with countless wheel removal & remounts since I do my own wheel rotations in my home garage (and both factory & aftermarket wheels). Something so simple but it made a huge difference. Never too old to learn something new!
Hope this helps someone someday.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

like a few people The MTR w/ kevlar as asymetric tires, they are not directional tires. They can be mounted either way. As for tire pressure, as long as you're getting even tread wear, the psi is fine. It depends on your load range really, but like i said if you have even wear, you're all good. and don't worry about the tire direction, it's ultimately up to the owner or who ever mounts them.

Quick Reply: 2 Questions-Goodyear Kevlars