Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2 Questions-Goodyear Kevlars

Old 01-18-2011, 11:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is useful information. I'm about to order 37" MTR's and I don't have confidence the local tire shop would figure this out on their own :(
Old 01-18-2011, 12:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

When I went to have mine mounted the shop asked white or black out, I told them black. Didn't really think much of it. The next day the spare came in and I dropped that off at the same shop. About 15 mins later I get a call telling me they mounted my other 4 tires wrong. So I took it back and they put them white side out. I'm not so happy with this look but I just ordered Miller's tire paint and I'm going to try and cover the white. Wheels are in the basement for the winter so it's the perfect time to test this paint. From what I've read it works pretty well but we will see.

Black out

White out

Last edited by nachostheclown; 01-18-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nachostheclown
When I went to have mine mounted the shop asked white or black out, I told them black. Didn't really think much of it. The next day the spare came in and I dropped that off at the same shop. About 15 mins later I get a call telling me they mounted my other 4 tires wrong. So I took it back and they put them white side out. I'm not so happy with this look but I just ordered Miller's tire paint and I'm going to try and cover the white. Wheels are in the basement for the winter so it's the perfect time to test this paint. From what I've read it works pretty well but we will see.

Black out

White out
All you have to do is switch the left tires with the right ones.. They will be mounted right and you will have the black on the outside!
Old 01-18-2011, 01:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BETO73
All you have to do is switch the left tires with the right ones.. They will be mounted right and you will have the black on the outside!
Why didn't I think of that. LOL

I'm assuming your joking.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=nachostheclown;2041598]When I went to have mine mounted the shop asked white or black out, I told them black. Didn't really think much of it. The next day the spare came in and I dropped that off at the same shop. About 15 mins later I get a call telling me they mounted my other 4 tires wrong. So I took it back and they put them white side out. I'm not so happy with this look but I just ordered Miller's tire paint and I'm going to try and cover the white. Wheels are in the basement for the winter so it's the perfect time to test this paint. From what I've read it works pretty well but we will see.]

I'm not sure how well painting over the letters will work for you. The entire side of the tire has a layer of white rubber and is covered with a layer of black rubber. Then they grind off the black from the raised letters leaving the white to show. After just a few offroad trips scuffing up the outside of the tire, white is starting to show through next to the raised white letters. It looks like crap. If you don't wheel in rocks, you might be ok. As I mentioned earlier, I'm just going to mount mine on my ZJ with the white in. The performance was no different for me when they were on my JKU for 2000 miles.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:22 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nachostheclown

Why didn't I think of that. LOL

I'm assuming your joking.
I'm not joking lol.
That happened to me while I was at the tire shop, took almost 15 minutes of thinking, then realized they just had to be switched to the opposite side!
Old 01-18-2011, 02:26 PM
JK Newbie

Okay maybe that's not what I did.. Now I'm thinking about that again.. Boo..
Old 01-19-2011, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Got my reply from Goodyear today. As others have told me in their inquiry to Goodyear, I got pretty much the same reply. No issues with the way they are currently mounted BUT I would not have the full benefits of "traction and performance". So I'm leaving them as is. I do off road but not as extreme as I have in the past. My Jamboree Trail Guide days in StFrancisville, LA are over and now I just go out with the club a few times a year for a club ride or 2 and a few trail maintenance days.
Funny Nachotheclown, yesterday I ordered Lockhart-Phillips tire pens to color my black letters! I have a couple white and a couple yellow coming to play with. Thinking I want the yellow since I have added some small yellow touches here n there on the Jeep. And I like things different. I know the pen ink will fade over time but if I have to redo it every few months, no big deal. Will post a pic here after done.
Funny how much quicker the info I was looking for came from the forum than from Goodyear even though the request was initiated at the same time. Probably took awhile to get my message to the right person at Gooyear. They do have over 70,000 employees according to their web site.
Thanks forum!
Old 01-19-2011, 08:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 34" (305/70/17) Wrangler Goodyear MTR with Kevlar. Those tires have a note on the side mentioned which side has to be out. In my case I put intentionally the external side on, because I don’t like the white letters, thinking anything will be happened……but wrong, I had troubles like DW in on-road. My solution was after changed wrong sides, paint black the white letters..... and after that no more the DW.

Last edited by JKMoses; 01-19-2011 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got my MTR-K's mounted up a few days ago. After reading this thread I made sure to walk in back and speak to the tech at the tire place about mounting these properly.

After install I was disappointed with the ride quality. Then I checked the pressure and they had inflated them to 36 psi! I had requested 30. At least they mounted them on the wheels right!

I dropped them to 28 and they are riding great now. A bit noisier than some MTZ's I used to have but nothing unreasonable. And no white letters on these 35 x 12.5 either!

Last edited by Biginboca; 01-20-2011 at 04:31 AM.

Quick Reply: 2 Questions-Goodyear Kevlars