Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2 Questions-Goodyear Kevlars

Old 01-17-2011, 01:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Millerman999
They have the same function, the tread will just wear faster. Offroading I want my big lugs in so mud slings under the fender, but with the size we have... That's impossible. Just do what's right.
I'm with you brother! I figured Goodyear designed them that way, I'm running them the correct way. Especially since the price of 40"s are gut wrenching and mine see driving daily, I want these puppies to last as long as they can.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:05 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GCM 2
I'm with you brother! I figured Goodyear designed them that way, I'm running them the correct way. Especially since the price of 40"s are gut wrenching and mine see driving daily, I want these puppies to last as long as they can.
Haha I daily Drive mine too the sad thing is...You and I's tires wil probably last a lil more than 30000 miles lol.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's amazing how many opinions there are. I too, purchased a set of 34" MTRs and requested the black out, not knowing that there was a inner and outer to them. I also called Goodyear and asked why? After 3 people that had no idea, a 4th gave me the reasons, the larger outer lug is designed to clean the mud to the outside, but also is considered to be better for climbing rocks when crawling up with the side of the tire. The middle section is for stability on the road. He didn't have an explaination for the smaller inner lugs. When asked if it mattered which direction they rotated, the answer, of course, was no. For stability on the road and longevity of tread wear, it doesn't matter how they are mounted. It appears that there "might" be a slight benefit with the larger lug on the outside when crawling up a rock, and I doubt there is much difference if the mud goes in or out. The Jeep is still going to be dirty.

After 2000 miles, I had the tires remounted according to GY's inner/outer plan. There was no difference in road noise or handling. After a total of 7000 miles on them, I replaced them with 35" KM2s. Nothing wrong with the MTRs, but I don't like the white letters out. The KM2s are just as quiet on the road, but they roll easier and my mpg went up by 10%. Others hav esaid the same thing regarding the increase in mpg. I can also feel is in the performance.

I will install the MTRs on my ZJ with the white letters in along with the larger lugs knowing that I probably will never know the difference on the road or off. I will run them at 28 psi on the road, as that was the correct amount for the weight of my JKU and the ZJ is about the same.

Last edited by Crasher; 01-17-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:57 PM
JK Newbie

KM2s... I am in the market for 33/R17s so please, tell me more.

Guess I am looking for pros/cons between the BFG KM2s/ Goodyear Kevlars/& the Toyo Open Country...

Last edited by Jester47; 01-17-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm enjoying this.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Crasher
The KM2s are just as quiet on the road, but they roll easier and my mpg went up by 10%. Others hav esaid the same thing regarding the increase in mpg. I can also feel is in the performance.
Based on what I have read the KM2's run fairly undersized, so wouldn't this account for the increased mpg with them?

Seems to me that for a fair comparison you almost need to compare a 35 MTR K with a 37" KM2! (35.5" actual diameter mounted for the 37" spec'ed KM2.) The 35" KM2 runs under 34" mounted and some are getting an actual diameter about 33.5" mounted for the KM2 specified at 35"...

Last edited by Biginboca; 01-18-2011 at 06:41 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:39 AM
JK Super Freak

As all others have stated, my 37" kevlars also have a marking on them as to which is inboard/outboard placing the larger lugs outboard.
I run mine at about 25psi after doing the chalk test and checking for wear. Much smoother ride as well.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Biginboca
Based on what I have read the KM2's run fairly undersized, so wouldn't this account for the increased mpg with them?

Seems to me that for a fair comparison you almost need to compare a 35 MTR K with a 37" KM2! (35.5" actual diameter mounted for the 37" spec'ed KM2.) The 35" KM2 runs under 34" mounted and some are getting an actual diameter about 33.5" mounted for the KM2 specified at 35"...
I think the KM2s do run a little smaller, but not by much. To get my speedo correct after going from 34" MTRs to 35" KM2s, I had to increase the tire size by .5" with my Superchip. So, the 35" KM2 is larger than the 34" MTR. According to GY, the 35" MTR is 34.8" and the 305/70R17 (34") is 34.1", or a .7" difference. With that, the 35" KM2 isn't significantly smaller. I do notice that the KM2 is not as wide as the MTR, which would contribute to a lower rolling resistance. I like the narrower part, as it gives me slightly better traction on hard surfaces. (more psi/sq.in.) They are both good tires, but the KM2 has proven to be a better choice for me. Even if the BFG was .5" smaller than the GY, I fail to see how anyone could tell or measure the difference in performance based on size alone.

Last edited by Crasher; 01-18-2011 at 07:03 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yup, I confirmed there is lettering stating inboard and outboard. I just did not find it when I dropped em off for mounting. I was incorrectly scanning for an arrow thinking directional rotation.
Okay Crasher, "difference in performance based on size", you might be taking this thread into the usafe for children area!
Old 01-18-2011, 09:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

[Okay Crasher, "difference in performance based on size", you might be taking this thread into the usafe for children area![/QUOTE]

Hopefully any children on here won't be in danger. I, of course, meant comparing a 35" MTR to a 35" KM2 with the size difference of 1/2" and being able to tell if it matters.

Quick Reply: 2 Questions-Goodyear Kevlars