Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2 Questions-Goodyear Kevlars

Old 01-17-2011, 03:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed my 35" MT/R Kevlar's there is a marking on the tire that tells you to run this side outboard the small section of tire with the tight tread pattern should be closest to the inside, also what is your caster set at?
Old 01-17-2011, 04:01 AM
JK Newbie

I have these same tires but in 34's and had the same question after I mounted them. I really wanted black walls but per the writing on the tire white had to be out. I personally called good year to get the official statement about the mounting of theses tires and this is what they said.
"the MTR/K does not stand for mud terrain but maximum traction reinforced with Kevlar, but the design of the lugs support excellent mud performance by slinging mud out and back which is why we suggest mounting them the way the tire says. Off road performance is the only thing you loose when mounting the tires against our recommendations it will not effect wear."
Old 01-17-2011, 04:12 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nothing is wrong with that tire pressure if that's what your testing found. My 33" MT procomps worked best at 25psi on a TJ.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, I read somewhere that kevlars smaller than 35 will show the white walls, while the 35s+ will have black walls.

Mount them aggressive lugs out, tightly spaced lugs in.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

It is important to have those small dense lugs inside and large lug outside.
It will give you much quiter street driving experience.

I made the same mistake and I am happy I changed it
Old 01-17-2011, 09:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Good replys, thanks. I too have directly asked Goodyear but have not heard back as of yet. Caster setting? I dunno. I am going back to the alingment shop for another balancing so I can ask then. As to road noise, I can't say they are any worse than my 33 General ATs. Man I thought I looked all around that tire for an indication of what way to mount. Guess I was more looking for an arrow (as I have seen on tires before) indicating rotational direction at that time.
Thanks again guys!
Old 01-17-2011, 10:05 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nicholsjs
I have these same tires but in 34's and had the same question after I mounted them. I really wanted black walls but per the writing on the tire white had to be out. I personally called good year to get the official statement about the mounting of theses tires and this is what they said.
"the MTR/K does not stand for mud terrain but maximum traction reinforced with Kevlar, but the design of the lugs support excellent mud performance by slinging mud out and back which is why we suggest mounting them the way the tire says. Off road performance is the only thing you loose when mounting the tires against our recommendations it will not effect wear."

That is really good info. I knew the MT was "Max Traction." However, I would have thought incorrect mounting would result in a quicker tire wear.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
They have Asymmetric Tread, not Directional. But look on the sidewall and see if there is a notation regarding which side to run facing outward.

40psi is way to high. If your chalk test showed that 26-27 gives you the contact patch you are looking for, go with it.
Correct. Tires are marked "this side inboard" and this side outboard. I dont think yours are on right, bro.

Flash

Last edited by Flash1034; 01-17-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Default Some run backwards

I have 40" MTR/Kevlars, I found that on my 4 door, 25lbs psi is about the max I want to run on the street. The ride is firm, but not harsh. Offroad, with beadlocks, I am running about 8-10lbs psi.

Also, I have a few friends that are running the MTR/Kevlars on rock buggies and swear that they are performing better with the tread running reverse or backwards.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:29 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GCM 2
I have 40" MTR/Kevlars, I found that on my 4 door, 25lbs psi is about the max I want to run on the street. The ride is firm, but not harsh. Offroad, with beadlocks, I am running about 8-10lbs psi.

Also, I have a few friends that are running the MTR/Kevlars on rock buggies and swear that they are performing better with the tread running reverse or backwards.
They have the same function, the tread will just wear faster. Offroading I want my big lugs in so mud slings under the fender, but with the size we have... That's impossible. Just do what's right.

Quick Reply: 2 Questions-Goodyear Kevlars