Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2 Questions-Goodyear Kevlars

Old 01-16-2011, 09:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Questions-Goodyear Kevlars

So they are on the Jeep and I have to say I am not completely thrilled. But the price was good enough (used, only 200 miles before I got em) to allow me to now have this set of 35s and keep the previous set of 33 General ATs. So that I am happy with.
Now first, I started with about 40# put by the tire mounters and quickly knew I needed to run lower. I incrementally dropped till I found currently 26-27# seems to be the sweet spot for even wear (tested with grease pencil markings across the tread) and ride comfort. These are 35x12.5 load C on 9" rims. Am I running too low or could I go safely lower?
Second, look at how the tread was mounted (don't pay attention to the spare-simply white letters out there). I could not find any directional markings on the tire to indicate which way they should be and I've spotted other vehicles with them both ways. The 4 are black on both sides so that gave me no indication either. Is there a correct or incorrect rotational direction?
Thanks in advance for any genuine knowledge here. Preciate it!

Old 01-16-2011, 09:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

I thought the bigger lugs were supposed to be on the outside? Could be wrong... wouldn't be the first time...
Old 01-16-2011, 09:27 PM
JK Freak

Default Answer

The guy above me i right. You got them on backwards buddy. Second, you shouldn't have to air down that will make them wear a helluva lot more.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

While we are at it, this has a Rubicon Express 3.5" lift. I was told by the company doing the lift, given I am intending to do some off roading as I have in my past 3 wranglers, I should trim that corner of metal seam created at the bottom of the rear wheel housing at the front of the wheels.
Anyone?
Old 01-16-2011, 09:30 PM
JK Freak

Default The Should Look Like This My Man

Old 01-16-2011, 09:33 PM
JK Freak

Im runnin 40s without housing trim... Do NOT do that... it's not a necessity. Won't help.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

A very slow search of the Goodyear web site showed a pic confirming I do have them mounted incorrectly. Guess my question now moves to: are there any adverse effects of doing this? I see so many people who mount their tires with white letters in (although usually not really a directional tread pattern) I'd guess someone could do the same with these.
Can you tell I really don't wanna go through dismounting and remounting. Any time anyone other than me touches the vehicle, something always gets buggered up.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

You know, I think I am thinking too much about this directional thing. Try to follow me here. Look at Millerman's bad arse 40" front tires and the tread pattern, visualise the center line of the tire and the tread coming from it as a "V" pattern. From the front of the vehice on one side the "V" points toward the ground and on the opposite, it points toward the sky. That tells me mounting direction really doesn't matter.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:53 PM
JK Freak

No u can live with it, but air up. The only thing I wanna say is the tires were designed to go a certain way. That would be the WAY I would choose. But I think you can run these how you have them. I've seen it once before, but I didn't know the guy. I'd remount man. Better be right than wrong.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:24 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

They have Asymmetric Tread, not Directional. But look on the sidewall and see if there is a notation regarding which side to run facing outward.

40psi is way to high. If your chalk test showed that 26-27 gives you the contact patch you are looking for, go with it.

Last edited by nthinuf; 01-16-2011 at 10:31 PM.

Quick Reply: 2 Questions-Goodyear Kevlars