Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2'' Lift on a 2-door auto: are new driveshafts necessary?

Old 11-18-2010, 02:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
I don't think that it is so much of a necessity. I think that it is mainly a choice in style of wheeling. Some people like the rocks. Some people like the mud. Some people like water fording. Personaly I use a Bayliner for fording.
Ah, I see. In Colombo (SL) a combination of poor drainage and huge volumes of rainfall result in a fair bit of flooding during monsoon season(s). Ironically, then, the snorkels here are only a necessity for on-road use!
Old 11-20-2010, 10:25 AM
JK Super Freak

I got the OME, but with the HD coils so it would compensate for bumpers/tire carrier. Right now i get about 3-3.5" of lift without any bumpers on.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nickdandria
I got the OME, but with the HD coils so it would compensate for bumpers/tire carrier. Right now i get about 3-3.5" of lift without any bumpers on.
Have you had any issues with your driveshaft(s)?

That's a great looking JK, by the way!
Old 11-20-2010, 08:32 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

There are too many variables for anyone to give a definite yes or no.

But:

With the non-HD coils, the regular yellow shocks (not the black long travel ones) and not disconnecting, you likely will not have issues.

Once the lift is on, find somewhere to flex it and check clearances just to be sure. If the driveshaft is anywhere close to the crossmember skid or the corner of the tcase, see post #6 here for some preventative steps you can take.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...vs.-Skid-plate

Every once in a while, it wouldn't be a bad idea to crawl under there and check the boot, and also the joints at the tcase ends of both shafts.

(I have the HD coils with standard yellow shocks on a 4door auto, appx 3.25" or lift. The front boot was fine, but I had some marks from the skid plate. I would have notched, as shown in post 6, but I noticed that I was spitting grease from the tcase end of the shaft - so I got me a woody...)

Last edited by nthinuf; 11-20-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
There are too many variables for anyone to give a definite yes or no.

But:

With the non-HD coils, the regular yellow shocks (not the black long travel ones) and not disconnecting, you likely will not have issues.

Once the lift is on, find somewhere to flex it and check clearances just to be sure. If the driveshaft is anywhere close to the crossmember skid or the corner of the tcase, see post #6 here for some preventative steps you can take.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...vs.-Skid-plate

Every once in a while, it wouldn't be a bad idea to crawl under there and check the boot, and also the joints at the tcase ends of both shafts.

(I have the HD coils with standard yellow shocks on a 4door auto, appx 3.25" or lift. The front boot was fine, but I had some marks from the skid plate. I would have notched, as shown in post 6, but I noticed that I was spitting grease from the tcase end of the shaft - so I got me a woody...)
Thanks for the sound advice, mate. I'll be sure to test it out like that after the lift.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Carasek

Have you had any issues with your driveshaft(s)?

That's a great looking JK, by the way!
Nthinuf pretty much covered it all, but I have had no problems. I checked the clearance of my driveshaft and the skid and everything seems fine. But thanks for the compliment!

Quick Reply: 2'' Lift on a 2-door auto: are new driveshafts necessary?