Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2'' Lift on a 2-door auto: are new driveshafts necessary?

Old 11-17-2010, 12:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2'' Lift on a 2-door auto: are new driveshafts necessary?

Hello all

I am the proud owner of an XJ (which is about to have an OME lift and some other mods), and soon-to-be owner of a JK Rubicon.

I have a question and I'm hoping that some of the wise people on this forum might provide some answers!

I want a Rubicon, but in the UK they only sell/sold that as a 2-door with the 3.8V6 auto. Ideally I'd like a 2.8 CRD Unlimited Rubi, but hey ho.

Anyway, I plan to buy one in the next couple of weeks when I return to the UK from Sri Lanka (I have a 2008 model in mind) and then I want to fit a lift, some 33's, a snorkel and possibly new bumpers.

My question is this:

The OME 2'' lift is generally recommended and it's easy(ish) to get in the UK. However, I read that it can end up being a greater than 2'' lift. Most of the people posting on this site with similar lifts do not mention whether they also fitted new drift shafts, so I'm wondering if this is necessary (it'll add quite a lot of cost to the build). The FAQ suggests that it will be a good idea for a 2-door auto, so I'm a little confused:

Q: Are new driveshafts needed after installing a lift?
A: You really should consider installing a new rear double cardin U-joint style drive shaft if you have lifted your Jeep JK Wrangler 3" or more and have a 2-door. This is needed because the short rear drive shaft of the 2-doors will be at a steep enough angle that the CV boots will wear out prematurely. However, in order to do this, you will need to buy a set of rear adjustable upper control arms so that you can properly set your pinion angle. 4-Door Unlimited models do not have this problem as their rear drive shafts are very long and a lift will not effect the angle of it too much. As far as the front goes, if you have an automatic transmission, you will need to replace the drive shaft with a double cardin U-joint style unit as well as the diameter of aftermarket shafts will be considerably narrower and will not come into contact with the transmission and/or skid plate. Failure to do this will result in the tearing of the factory drive shaft boot as it makes contact with the transmission. Manual transmissions will not have this problem and keeping the factory front drive shaft will not be a problem.
I plan on shipping the Jeep to Sri Lanka in the New Year, so I need the JK to be as reliable as possible (hard to get parts/repairs here). What say you? Any suggestions gratefully received!
Old 11-17-2010, 04:31 AM
JK Freak

I had a 2.5 RC lift with factory driveshafts. Now I only had 30K miles on it, but I didn't have a problem & flexed it pretty good when wheelin.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:50 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

if you get the ome 2" lift with shocks, you will not need new drive shafts.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are going to disco the front swaybar as you should then you might want to trim that spot on the oil pan to make sure that it can't grab the drive shaft rubber cover and you will be fine.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:18 AM
JK Freak

No need for new driveshafts with a 2" lift.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:21 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by genesbro
If you are going to disco the front swaybar as you should then you might want to trim that spot on the oil pan to make sure that it can't grab the drive shaft rubber cover and you will be fine.
this only applies with autos and with lifts that come with extended shocks as they will allow for too much droop. the ome shocks that come with the 2" kit are about the length of stock shocks and they will prevent your driveshaft from coming into contact with the tranny skid and pan.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

I thought the OME 2" kit ends up being aobut 3-3.25" on a 2dr?

If that is the case, aren't new shafts in order?
Old 11-17-2010, 06:49 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by jdubb75
I thought the OME 2" kit ends up being aobut 3-3.25" on a 2dr?

If that is the case, aren't new shafts in order?
only if you get the HD coils. if you get the standard coils, you will only get about 2"
Old 11-17-2010, 11:52 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks so much for the replies: I knew the good people on the JK-Forum would help me out!

I guess I'd only get the HD shocks if I seriously plan on getting new bumpers (assuming they will weigh more). I like the look and functionality of the ARB deluxe bumpers. If fitted, the suspension lift would then be reduced closer to the 2'' mark I suppose.

It'll be a daily driver with as much off-road use as I can fit in, but the roads here can leave a lot to be desired. I need reliability, stability and sure traction on very wet tarmac (we get monsoon rain here), so serious mud tyres probably won't be sensible. 33's will be fine, but a moderate lift should just give me enough clearance and articulation on more challenging terrain.

Thanks to genesbro and wayoflife for the advice on the tranny skid/oil pan issue (it will be an auto 2-door). I'll raise that with the fellows who will fit the lift to assess whether it is an actual issue on my lift.

I wish I could bring the XJ here, but the import restrictions won't allow it. However, I may be the only person with a JK in Sri Lanka. I can anticipate the green eyes of envy staring at me already!

As an aside, I note that the majority of members don't seem to have snorkels fitted. Is this due to the type of terrain/trails tackled in the US? In Europe and Asia it's a pretty standard modification to most vehicles intended for actual off-road use due to the risk of not having one when you need it! Any thoughts on that?
Old 11-18-2010, 01:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As an aside, I note that the majority of members don't seem to have snorkels fitted. Is this due to the type of terrain/trails tackled in the US? In Europe and Asia it's a pretty standard modification to most vehicles intended for actual off-road use due to the risk of not having one when you need it! Any thoughts on that?
I don't think that it is so much of a necessity. I think that it is mainly a choice in style of wheeling. Some people like the rocks. Some people like the mud. Some people like water fording. Personaly I use a Bayliner for fording.

Quick Reply: 2'' Lift on a 2-door auto: are new driveshafts necessary?