Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2" Intended - 4" Surprise, thoughts?

Old 05-31-2020, 02:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2" Intended - 4" Surprise, thoughts?

Hey all,

Been a while since I've posted, been doing a lot of work on my 2dr JK. Ran into an unexpected situation and
trying to decide which direction to go with it. When I first lifted my Jeep on a budget I put on a 2" spacer lift. Since then
a lot of work has been done. I got a HD adjustable track bar, adjustable sway links and front lower adjustable control arms, and some other stuff.

Here's the surprise, got the rancho 2" lift to replace my stock set up and spacers - my mechanic buddy I usually work with as we build it up got
a head start on the work while I was returning to town and got the new lift on...but there was some miscommunication and the original spacers were
never removed... soooo it seems at the moment I actually have a 4" lift. (Sitting on 35"s)

Jeep still in shop and more work to be done nonetheless so here is the question I'd love some opinions on. Keep it at 4" and do the extra necessary work? (Driveshafts, rest of control arms, and whatever else depending). Or just do the work to take the spacers off and be a little more level headed and not get too carried away.

Last thing, I am adding aftermarket bumpers so that may weigh it down a bit, so maybe not a true 4", maybe closer to 3"/3.5", but either way work needs to be done.

Thoughts? Talk me into reason? Fuel the addiction?

Thanks

Last edited by adgraybda; 05-31-2020 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:33 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

I'd suggest never going higher than you NEED to for your intended use. It's not about looks. The higher you are, the more headaches you will have. I'd remove the spacer pucks and go with just the 2" coils.
The following 2 users liked this post by resharp001:
Jay2013jk (06-01-2020), Sv_dude (05-31-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 08:04 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

^ +1 -especially on a 2 door.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:38 PM
Dat
JK Freak

Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

Another vote for removing the pucks and go with just the coils, keep it as low as you can and still clear, looks better and drives better
The following users liked this post:
Jay2013jk (06-01-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 08:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input, I "knew" this was the right answer but was getting a little carried away, it makes sense overall and leaves funds available for other upgrades. Glad to get your opinions
The following users liked this post:
Rancho (06-02-2020)

Quick Reply: 2" Intended - 4" Surprise, thoughts?