Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2 inch lift kit and 33 inch tires affecting gas mileage and vehicle power

Old 02-02-2016, 05:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 inch lift kit and 33 inch tires affecting gas mileage and vehicle power

I've just purchased a new Wrangler Unlimited Sport S w/6 speed and 3.21 gearing. I absolutely love this vehicle. I was originally going to upgrade to 35 inch tires and a 3 inch lift kit. After much reading, I've decided not to, because I've read that the 35 inch tires seriously affect your mpg and power, and the air drag of a 3 inch lift kit will also decrease your mpg as well. I use the jeep as a daily driver. I want to beef up the look of the jeep so I've considered getting 33 inch bf Goodrich white letter A/T tires and a 2 inch pro comp lift kit. By going this route, will my mpg and performance decrease that much with this setup and will the appearance of the jeep improve significantly with this setup? I don't want to re-gear at this point since the vehicle is brand new. Any thoughts, suggestions, opinions of what I want to do ? Thank you so much.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 3.21 gears with a manual transmission. It's not to bad. I have 33 inch Bfg ko2s and a 2 inch lift. I like the setup and only lost about 1 mpg overall. Is yours automatic or manual?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3111580789.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	440.6 KB
ID:	636485  

Last edited by skertichluke; 02-02-2016 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well sure. Any increase in ride height, weight, rolling resistance, etc. will negatively affect fuel economy.

But in a Jeep Wrangler... do what you want. It's not like it's economical anyway.

Have fun with it. Lift it. Drive it. Enjoy it.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I have the teraflex leveling, 33 bfg on pro comp wheels. I noticed 1-2mpg loss. not that bad, I resist putting on bumpers, higher lift, bigger tires to keep the milage I am at now. Not because of cost, but because of range. I need the range....actually I need more range than I get now, but I need the mods I have done to go the places I do.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:16 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris1969
... I want to beef up the look of the jeep ...
A set of wheel spacers (or 4.5" backspace new rims) with 32" tires will seriously beef up the look of your Jeep. You don't really need the lift, if retaining max gas mileage is important to you (Have you noticed how cheap gas has gotten lately?). Some tires tend to run larger or small. If you found a set of Rubi take-offs, they tend to run large--larger than even some co-called 33" tires.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quality 1.5" wheel spacers front and rear; 3/4" front only puck spring spacer (may lose 1~2 mpg); more aggressive AT tires 32" or 33"; CB radio. Get the look with barely any loss in range. If you wheel in mud or water, remove front air dam but mind you will increase drag. Heavy right foot affects range more than mods.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:35 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I was going to say that, a dumb right foot kills it way more than a set of 33s and a leveling kit. The teraflex leveling comes with 2 up front 1 in the rear and keeps some rake for better milage. I love my setup. works great on and off road.

Quick Reply: 2 inch lift kit and 33 inch tires affecting gas mileage and vehicle power