Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2 inch AEV lift

Old 05-01-2013, 03:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 inch AEV lift

Hey everyone. I'm wondering if I can fit 285/75-17 with my two inch lift or will it look too stuffed in the wheel wells. Also will the back tail gate hold up with that size? Thanks for all help in advance.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:11 AM
JK Freak

I believe you will be fine. I have no lift and have duratracs 285-70-16's and love the way they look. However, I am really considering the AEV 2" lift or the 2.5" lift by OME. Not sure yet. good luck.

Last edited by Evo35; 05-01-2013 at 04:21 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:32 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Caharker17
Hey everyone. I'm wondering if I can fit 285/75-17 with my two inch lift or will it look too stuffed in the wheel wells. Also will the back tail gate hold up with that size? Thanks for all help in advance.
You'll be perfectly fine. That is a great tire size and enough room in wheel wells. What kind of BS or offset on the wheels?
Old 05-01-2013, 01:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Caharker17
It's tough to predetermine these things sometimes. Wheel widths, tire heights, tire tread (aggressive vs. street) can all play a factor in how it looks. I had a TF 1.5" leveling kit on stock wheels/tires and it fit perfectly. Once I put on 33's it had the "stuffed" look. I ended upgrading to a TF 2.5" BB with shock adapters. 1st pic is with the 1.5", the second pic is with the 2.5". I also installed the TF HD Hinge just for a sanity check to carry the weight on the tailgate. It's easier to prevent damage sometimes than fixing damaged parts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1454553272.jpg
Views:	2541
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	453230

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4043629188.jpg
Views:	4030
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	453231
Old 05-01-2013, 02:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

They'll probably fit without issue in terms of lift height.

Width, it depends on if you're using stock wheels (you'll probably need spacers?), or appropriate backspacing if you've gone with an aftermarket wheel.

The added weight of an aftermarket wheel/tire combo on the tailgate is probably okay. In my experience, I went with a 285/70/17 on stock wheels. I didn't like the feel of a heavier tire on other folks' tailgates with the stock carrier, so I figured what the hell and bought the AEV rear bumper and tire carrier as well. It was a good choice and I have no worries about bolting my bike and rack up to the tire. The feeling is much more substantial.

Will the stock carrier work for an aftermarket tire in that size? Yeah, probably. Just make sure the tire is snug against the bump stops on the tailgate. You may need to extend the CHMSL (center high mount stop lamp), but not sure with a 285/75. I went with the LED one that pokes through the wheel and shines out the back. Figured it was an easy $50 spent towards keeping everything safe and legal.

Good luck and show us what you come up with!
Old 05-01-2013, 02:26 PM
JK Newbie

i run the AEV 2" spacer lift, with AEV pintlers and 285/75-17 toyo At2s. Tires are just over 33 inches mounted. Everything works great.

I have the tire on the stock spare carrier and it fits- just barely- I need new tire bump stops - the tire is about 1/2 inch from the stock stops- I have some on order. The third brake light is fine- right on top of the tire, but still visable. The tire is very close to the stock bumper but does not touch it, tire is secure and I see no evidence of it moving.

Very, Very pleased with the whole set up- easy to install- just needed to center the steering. I may add some caster correction - cam bolts or control arms - I can tell it needs more caster only at high speeds - 60+ on highways with travel tracks, or when it is windy.

the wheels you run could make a difference with the stock tire carrier, and the fit at the bumper would be the most critical I would think.

I dont have a pic on this puter- Ill take some when I take my son to practice and post them for you later tonight.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:12 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Tripletsi
It's tough to predetermine these things sometimes. Wheel widths, tire heights, tire tread (aggressive vs. street) can all play a factor in how it looks. I had a TF 1.5" leveling kit on stock wheels/tires and it fit perfectly. Once I put on 33's it had the "stuffed" look. I ended upgrading to a TF 2.5" BB with shock adapters. 1st pic is with the 1.5", the second pic is with the 2.5". I also installed the TF HD Hinge just for a sanity check to carry the weight on the tailgate. It's easier to prevent damage sometimes than fixing damaged parts.

Attachment 453230

Attachment 453231
Very useful pics for me since I was debating between the leveling kit and the 2.5"BB. Based on your experience I will go with the BB. Any issues getting the springs in and out without spring compressors?
Thanks a lot!
Old 05-02-2013, 07:18 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by IIWorlds
Very useful pics for me since I was debating between the leveling kit and the 2.5"BB. Based on your experience I will go with the BB. Any issues getting the springs in and out without spring compressors?
Thanks a lot!
You dont need a spring compressor...just lower the axle low enough (make sure to loosen the brake lines and ABS wires) and you'll be fine.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:16 AM
JK Newbie

I have this set up, using stock wheels and spidertrax. I think it looks and works great. Have had it in place for 5 months now, using stock rear tire carrier. No problems yet, but I think I am going to get one of those "reinforcement" kits for where the mount attaches to the tailgate, just to be sure.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20130310-00039 (2).jpg
Views:	944
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	453480   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20130310-00040 (2).jpg
Views:	3508
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	453481   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20130310-00041 (2).jpg
Views:	529
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	453482  
Old 05-02-2013, 11:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by IIWorlds

Thanks a lot!
Apologies for the hijack. No issues at all, loosen all control arms, disconnect shocks, brake lines, sway bar links, and one end of each track bar. It'll drop even more than you need it to, leaving plenty of space for the spacers and springs. I suggest reading the Project-JK write up and watching the TeraFlex YouTube videos for reference.

Quick Reply: 2 inch AEV lift