Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2 door stretch

Old 03-07-2014, 06:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeep already builds a streched JK...and you get 2 extra doors
Old 03-07-2014, 06:20 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhxRainey
Jeep already builds a streched JK...and you get 2 extra doors
that does not improve approach/departure angles and such though...
Old 03-07-2014, 06:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ABENDX
Show me a properly engineered JK kit. None exist.... or at least none that I have seen. The more "extreme" they get, the less engineering that seems to go into them.

The kits are okay and the compromises made will work.... but don't for a second start spouting they got much of the engineering correct.

RK and the rest will talk your ear off regarding all kinds of suspension terms..... ask specific questions and you'll hear crickets and likely find yourself banned for smoking a vendor.

I can only speak of the RK's 8" stretch kit that I used. You're telling me that they just threw pieces together hoping everything would work? I ran this kit for a year and a half and had zero issues. I'm sure alot went into the design of the kit. I don't fully understand all the aspects of what goes into and affects the geometry of the suspension but for a box kit, this one worked. What do you believe is not properly engineered about this kit?
Old 03-07-2014, 06:36 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Pretty much, yes. The JK has its limitations and proper geometry is almost impossible to achieve without chopping the entire rear of the jeep off and running a fuel cell. If you were running the 3 link stretch the big engineering feat was to make the upper axle mount real tall and adjustable so you could adjust the anti-squat a bit. Unfortunately that tall rear link limits the up travel. There is engennering there, just to make things fit to acheive the final result with suspension geometry being secondary.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kage kicker
I can only speak of the RK's 8" stretch kit that I used. You're telling me that they just threw pieces together hoping everything would work? I ran this kit for a year and a half and had zero issues. I'm sure alot went into the design of the kit. I don't fully understand all the aspects of what goes into and affects the geometry of the suspension but for a box kit, this one worked. What do you believe is not properly engineered about this kit?

Like I said.... most of these kits will work.

Most of the engineering issues are packaging ones, which would be fine, if a vendor would actually state this rather than just flat out lie when directly asked.

While my knowledge of suspension design makes me dangerous, it often seems like I hold many more cards than the guys making these things for a living.

While one company might feel that basing their four door lift off the two door one is acceptable, from an engineering standpoint, it isn't. Ask them about IC.... in fact the only posed question I believe was somewhat answered, put the numbers well outside of what they should have been. This blows out of the water all of their talk about AS, RC, etc.. Like I said..... lots of complicated terms are used, but using big words doesn't necessarily mean anything, nor does a fancy engineering degree. Put this guy on PBB where many folks really have a clue and watch him make three posts and scram. The bullshit was pointed out in seconds of that first post.

While another favorite might feel a flat belly is a good thing, the way they got there is horrible.... the semi knock off of that kit looks to be even worse.

The smoke and mirrors may sway many.... but if you're building your own, you should understand what they got wrong. If you don't.... (no offense) but maybe you should be having someone else do this for you.

Quick Reply: 2 door stretch