Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2 door stretch

Old 03-05-2014, 04:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension
How much of a stretch are you looking to gain over stock? Our stretch kits use a coil and a shock in the rear and they work well. You can get away with doing this just fine, the only issue you may see when trying to keep your rig at the 2.5" lift height is the fact that you will most likely need to bump stop it to limit the up travel more then in a little higher of a kit. RK
I'm curious on this. Is the up travel limiting factor on your kit the third link mount? If so, have you looked at an alternative setup or bracket (I noticed Artec has an increased clearance bracket that goes on the rear truss)? I think the kit would be a hit if two items were overcome:

1. Improving uptravel limitations to maintain low center of gravity.

2. Partner with someone to make corners designed to work with the kit.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a reason we don't see much stretching of the front ends of JKs?
I'm planing on doing a stretch of one form or another once I get back to Colorado
But I'm thinking something like 5-6 in the rear and 2-3 up front
Old 03-06-2014, 05:01 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by mattr
I'm planing on doing a stretch of one form or another once I get back to Colorado
the front is alot more work with the steering and such. Also depending how much you stretch may be another driveshaft you have to lengthen.

Last edited by Maertz; 03-06-2014 at 05:10 AM.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:19 PM
JK Newbie

Are there anymore build threads of guys stretching their 2 doors?
Old 03-06-2014, 04:05 PM
JK Freak

As stated, it's more work and certain issues have to be considered, depending how far you want to go.

I'd say that two is doable without some serious thought.... you might even get away with three. Past that you're looking at custom steering, clearance issues with the axle, clearance issues with the suspension, issues as to where the items in the engine bay go to make said clearances, etc., etc..

Unless you have a fair amount of spare cash, lots of spare time and plenty of patience and creativity.... I'd not stretch the front out too far. But... if you're brainless and want to shoot for the moon, it's a very nice upgrade when done correctly.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:21 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Are there anymore build threads of guys stretching their 2 doors?
there are a few outside of this forum, there are 3 currently being done on freaks.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:29 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks I will check it out
Old 03-07-2014, 05:50 AM
JK Newbie

I just completed my second suspension kit. Before, I used Rock Krawler's stretch kit and must say that it was a breeze to install. I kept the coils at the time and they get relocated to the rear crossmember. Now I went with a triangulated 4 link with struts so still trying to dial everything in. With prefabbed kits, all the geometry is taken care of which makes life a whole lot easier. If you know you'll end up with coilovers and have the money, I'd recommend doing it all at once as it will cut costs in the long run. Unfortunately, I don't have many pictures of the old kit installed but can provide information as needed.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:04 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by kage kicker
I just completed my second suspension kit. Before, I used Rock Krawler's stretch kit and must say that it was a breeze to install. I kept the coils at the time and they get relocated to the rear crossmember. Now I went with a triangulated 4 link with struts so still trying to dial everything in. With prefabbed kits, all the geometry is taken care of which makes life a whole lot easier. If you know you'll end up with coilovers and have the money, I'd recommend doing it all at once as it will cut costs in the long run. Unfortunately, I don't have many pictures of the old kit installed but can provide information as needed.

Show me a properly engineered JK kit. None exist.... or at least none that I have seen. The more "extreme" they get, the less engineering that seems to go into them.

The kits are okay and the compromises made will work.... but don't for a second start spouting they got much of the engineering correct.

RK and the rest will talk your ear off regarding all kinds of suspension terms..... ask specific questions and you'll hear crickets and likely find yourself banned for smoking a vendor.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:05 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

I was think the same thing.

Quick Reply: 2 door stretch