Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2-door JK Rubicon budget boost - vibrations

Old 07-14-2007, 11:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2-door JK Rubicon budget boost - vibrations

I installed a 2" BB from Superlift last weekend. I knew about the axle misalignment issues, but here's something I didn't know about.

The short rear driveshaft caused throbing (on and off, rythmic) vibrations at 60-65MPH. Those not sensitive to vibrations or just people with a "It's worth the lift" mentality would either not notice or not care, but for those that do, now you know.

To me, this is unforgivable. This lift may be fine for 4-doors with their longer rear driveshafts (assuming you want to deal with the twisted axles problems) but this kit should not be marketed for the 2-doors without a warning..."this lift may (will!?) cause driveline vibrations and will eventually destroy your rear driveshaft".

Needless to say, I removed the lift, everyting is back to normal.

No more "budget boosts" for me.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First I've heard of anyone having vibration issues with a BB on a 2 door. I'm no stranger to driveline vibes. I was snakebit with my TJ with just a 2" BB lift and Dana 44 rear. I have the 2.5" TF BB installed on my 2 door JK Sahara now and have absolutely zero driveline vibes. Axles did shift a good half inch which will be fixed with adjustable trackbars soon but the drivelines are fine.

By the way those that went the BB way on there TJ's there were no warnings of possible driveline issues either when purchasing. Some had issues, some didn't.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The solution on the TJ was drop the tcase about 1/2". I really haven't looked to see if you can drop iton the JK but I know that it is mounted differently than a TJ.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:09 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by IGOFSHN
The solution on the TJ was drop the tcase about 1/2". I really haven't looked to see if you can drop iton the JK but I know that it is mounted differently than a TJ.
Yep, went that route and never completely got rid of it. Put a good 70,000 miles on it after the lift though and never had an issue other than the slight vibe
Old 07-14-2007, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't imagine that one 2-door would be so different from another that one would have vibration and the other nothing.

Maybe it's a Rubicon issue?

Or maybe you haven't driven with your radio off since you go the lift. The vibrations actually feel like bass notes on the infinity system...not terrible, but present.

A possible solution would be to use adjustable arms and rotate the rear axle backwards so that the driveshaft angle decreases...in other words, point the rear axle towards the t-case.

One more thing...the Jeep did not have a stock ride. Bouncier, more jolty, and the bump stops sometimes bottomed out on sharp parking lot manuevers (or at least if felt like they did).

Last edited by Mike JK; 07-14-2007 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:21 PM
JK Newbie

[QUOTE=Mike JK;130995]I can't imagine that one 2-door would be so different from another that one would have vibration and the other nothing.

Maybe it's a Rubicon issue?

That's the same response I got when I brought up my TJ issues. I guess anything is possible.

As for the "crap" driving you experienced it could be numerous things. Did you go with new shocks or extensions? install adjustable trackbars or leave axles off center? Get a wheel alignment? even though everyone will tell you that you dont need one.

Quick Reply: 2-door JK Rubicon budget boost - vibrations