Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Replace the 2 Door X Springs with the Rubis and install the 2.5 BB?
Yes swap the springs
50.00%
No just install the BB
50.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

2 Door + 4 Door Rubi Springs + 2.5 inch BB good to go or no?

Old 01-16-2016, 11:21 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Door + 4 Door Rubi Springs + 2.5 inch BB good to go or no?

I have a 2 Door, a brand new 4 door rubi springs, new rubi shocks, and a 2.5 BB.

Is it a bad idea if I swap out my sagged 6 year old X springs with the new rubi springs and install the BB?

Thank You,

Matt
Old 01-16-2016, 11:37 PM
JK Junkie

My biggest concern is the whole 3 inches or more lift will require a new drive shaft especially with the 2 doors to run lifts that high reliably.

My logic is that people install 2.5 BB on the rubicon it came off of so wouldn't that mean it should be fine on mine with the unlimited springs. There are no variations on the BB's for every specific JK type, 2D or 4D.

I don't have my own shop or tools so I'm having a mechanic install the lift, so I want to give him the correct combination of parts.

Last edited by matt852; 01-16-2016 at 11:44 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by matt852
My biggest concern is the whole 3 inches or more lift will require a new drive shaft especially with the 2 doors to run lifts that high reliably. My logic is that people install 2.5 BB on the rubicon it came off of so wouldn't that mean it should be fine on mine with the unlimited springs. There are no variations on the BB's for every specific JK type, 2D or 4D. I don't have my own shop or tools so I'm having a mechanic install the lift, so I want to give him the correct combination of parts.
The droop of your shocks will have more impact on driveshaft bind than lift height. The more lift height will effect your caster to pinion ration however
Old 01-17-2016, 07:45 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Monte417
The droop of your shocks will have more impact on driveshaft bind than lift height. The more lift height will effect your caster to pinion ration however
I'm guessing I would need more components then if I swap the coils as well? Sorry I'm having a hard time following. I have the rough country BB series II. http://cdn.roughcountry.com/media/ca...-base-v2_1.jpg
Old 01-17-2016, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

You will not be at a true 3" and it'll ride rougher than you'd like. Driveshafts probably won't be an issue just driving on the road.

I had that combo on my 2dr and I am no longer with that combo. It "looks" right but rides like crap.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:15 AM
JK Newbie

I have a 2 Door, a brand new 4 door rubi springs, new rubi shocks, and a 2.5 BB. Is it a bad idea if I swap out my sagged 6 year old X springs with the new rubi springs and install the BB? Thank You, Matt
are you looking to run larger tires or do you just want a lift?
Old 01-17-2016, 08:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2 Door, a brand new 4 door rubi springs, new rubi shocks, and a 2.5 BB.

Is it a bad idea if I swap out my sagged 6 year old X springs with the new rubi springs and install the BB?

Thank You,

Matt
I ran this almost exact same setup for nearly a year. The only thing you'll find is the springs are stiff and will contribute to a rougher ride.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:21 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by skertichluke
are you looking to run larger tires or do you just want a lift?
I plan on going to 35's in about 3 years, just bought some 33's a week ago.

I have 13 springs up front and the replacements from the unlimited are 17 in the front 19 in the back
Old 01-17-2016, 08:24 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
I ran this almost exact same setup for nearly a year. The only thing you'll find is the springs are stiff and will contribute to a rougher ride.
Thanks ShutterBug, was the rough ride with heavy bumpers, sliders, gear etc? I'm planning on just running no rear bumper, minimalist style with this set up.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:25 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
You will not be at a true 3" and it'll ride rougher than you'd like. Driveshafts probably won't be an issue just driving on the road.

I had that combo on my 2dr and I am no longer with that combo. It "looks" right but rides like crap.
Thanks Karl I appreciate your input.

Quick Reply: 2 Door + 4 Door Rubi Springs + 2.5 inch BB good to go or no?