Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: which one inch body lift would you choose?
daystar
53.85%
m.o.r.e.
23.08%
performance accessories
23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

2" body lift

Old 03-02-2008, 04:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what does the kargo master rack mount to? if it mounts to the body, doing a body lift won't decrease the gap.
i'm pretty sure that it mounts to the body in front, so the front gap won't change with a body lift. if it mounts purely to the bumper in the rear, then adding a BL will decrease the gap in the rear portion only.
remember, not only does the BL raise the body, but everything attached to the body along with it.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Westbayou
No reason to act like a tool dude, I've been in the Jeep game longer than most on this board. I just posed a simple question. Myself, on my YJ I did both a 2.5" suspension lift and a 1" body lift. I'm pretty familiar with how they work.

If you had read my second reply to this thread, I clarified that stock for stock, I think a BB would be a better way to go than a 2" body lift just on the bang for your buck basis. On a stock JK a BB doesn't get you anywhere close to where you need to be worried about your center of gravity.
To me it sounded like he just answered your question. Maybe the statement "I guess the answer is that you have no idea what each does" rubbed you the wrong way, but the answer to your question is an explanation of the differences between the 2 lifts.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:47 PM
JK Freak

thank you for the input guys

it didn't rub me the wrong way, the point abount the front increasing(rack) i already realized. i do know the differnce between suspension lifts and body lifts. i will be adding both. i want a taller jeep. i'm ok with it(rack) rising with the front, i still have to take off freedom top panels anyways the rear seems to be a little higher and definetly wider(congo rack) in the back. i'm not going with the 2". i'll be going with the 1". which one has anybody installed and liked?

so daystar is the way to go?
Old 03-02-2008, 05:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeepnyak
thank you for the input guys

it didn't rub me the wrong way, the point abount the front increasing(rack) i already realized. i do know the differnce between suspension lifts and body lifts. i will be adding both. i want a taller jeep. i'm ok with it(rack) rising with the front, i still have to take off freedom top panels anyways the rear seems to be a little higher and definetly wider(congo rack) in the back. i'm not going with the 2". i'll be going with the 1". which one has anybody installed and liked?

so daystar is the way to go?
I have the Daystar. More expensive but definately stronger. The debate is "does it really need to be stronger?" I think all the body lifts are plenty strong and you wouldn't have any problem with any of them. I like the way the Daystar looks... but you really can't see it unless you look in there.

Overall I would say all 1" body lifts do the same thing...get your body 1" off the frame. It's really personal preference which you prefer.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

I keep seeing threads like this, so I gotta ask.

Why on earth would you buy a body lift instead of the Rough Country budget boost?

They are almost the same price, and having done body lifts in the past, I can tell you the BB is easier to install than the body lift and the results are better. You will be happier with the RC BB, I can guarantee you.

My answer was phrased in response to you essentially SAYING you had no idea why someone would do a BL over a BB.

I didn't mean to offend you, but, that's how you phrased it....like you had no idea why one over the other would be considered.

I responded between taking care of my wife, who's dealing with strokes and brain seizure issues...so I didn't see the clarification until after hitting send, etc.

AND

The clarification is also in disagreement anyway...as far a stock bang for buck as well...but I let it go, as that's just opinion, and I don't think opinions should be argued...its like religion, etc...its never productive....and there's no point trying to make every one agree.

I just post the info...people can read it and interpret it as they want to....its a free country...I don't have to be "right"...I can let things go if it looks like someone is sensitive, etc.

I find that once someone has installed a mod....they tend to need to protect their justification for it.

I was NOT saying you made a mistake doing a BB instead of a BL....I just pointed out WHY one WOULD do one over the other....in direct response to your expression about having no idea why someone might....etc.

Your RC BB sounds like it made you happy, and that's important....enjoy!

I apologize if I came across as calling you a tool, THAT was unintended, and not what I was trying to convey.

I owe you a beer.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Talking

Originally Posted by putnam dan
TeeJ - Nice answer even though wheeling for years I still have loads to learn - hadn't thought of that (I always hack the fenders to allow extra upwards movement)
LOL

Yeah - I left out the cut off the fender option, or the larger flare options, and so forth...I have that on other threads...and was trying to keep to the BB vs BL theme on this one.

Hacking off the fenders is probably the cheapest way to fit larger tires....and if you live in a state that allows the tires to stick out, you can't miss.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

TEEJ: Its all good. Sorry to hear about the health issues. Just read the response and it rubbed me the wrong way i.e. I was stupid for asking.

Would you agree a body lift is a body lift, especially when only 1", so spending an extra $100 for aluminum doesn't make sense unless you like the looks better?
Old 03-03-2008, 05:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Talking

TEEJ: Its all good. Sorry to hear about the health issues. Just read the response and it rubbed me the wrong way i.e. I was stupid for asking.

Would you agree a body lift is a body lift, especially when only 1", so spending an extra $100 for aluminum doesn't make sense unless you like the looks better?
Its not a real point though...all lift kits cost more than their components...that's how they makers make the $...by figuring it all out for us, so we don't have to figure out how to make it from scratch, etc.

A coil spacer lift is 4 "pucks", the BL for the JK's is 10-12 "pucks"...and they're about the same $100 price....and as a 1" BL doesn't really show, the BB is more for looks if any of them are.

(2" LOOKS taller than 1"....at least to me)

The real point is they are not two ways to do the same thing...they are two different solutions to two different challenges.

The BL is designed to make room for larger tires....that's its job....its not really for looks. A 2" BL would make room for a 4" larger diameter tire to clear.

An SL is designed to raise the frame, and leave the diffs and axles on the ground, etc. You typically need a lot more SL to do the same job of tire clearance of a BL, as the tires still stuff to the same point, with, or without a SL....so the SL's do not REALLY make room for larger tires, except at ride height...they typically rely on just making the axle unable to rise, to prevent a larger tire from hitting.

So - A BB is just a BB, a BL is just a BL....and they each have their role.

Depending upon the type of wheeling you do, one makes more sense than the other sometimes. A BL pretty much NEVER makes sense unless you need more room for tires, which can lift the diffs, etc...as that's ITS job.

An SL pretty much NEVER makes sense if you need your diffs higher, but, if you need the FRAME higher, that's ITS job.

You can get larger tires ON with a BB...but, inch for inch...the BL gets LARGER tires on, as it lets the axle keep rising, and is merely making stuffage room for the tires.

...and so forth.

Readers Digest Version:

BL's are to allow larger tires, which can then lift the entire truck, diffs and all...with tire size being increased by 2" for every inch of BL....and, total potential truck lift by the tire tire lift being 1:1 to the BL.

SL's (BB's are SL's..) are to raise the frame, increasing FRAME ground clearance on a 1:1 inch per inch basis as well, but NOT raising the diffs, etc, at all...and only allowing larger tires by limiting axle travel.

As 1" or 2" of total diff/total truck clearance may not be enough for your terrain - you may want to combine these technique in what ever fashion makes sense....

IE:

Once the BL has gotten you room for larger tires to stuff....if larger tires alone solve your challenges...you're done.

If you don't NEED larger tires, the BB makes more sense, etc.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:21 PM
JK Newbie

I have the performance accessories 1" body lift and a budget boost. The body lift installed fairly easily. One thing not in the instructions was that my standard transmission wanted to pop out of 2nd, 4th, and 6th gears. I fixed this by trimming some of the shift boot--not the one you see from inside the jeep, but the one under that. The jeep rides well now, and I hope to fit 35" tires on it. I went with the cheapest lift. Who cares what the spacers are made of as long as they hold up?
Old 03-04-2008, 06:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by broom
I have the performance accessories 1" body lift and a budget boost. The body lift installed fairly easily. One thing not in the instructions was that my standard transmission wanted to pop out of 2nd, 4th, and 6th gears. I fixed this by trimming some of the shift boot--not the one you see from inside the jeep, but the one under that. The jeep rides well now, and I hope to fit 35" tires on it. I went with the cheapest lift. Who cares what the spacers are made of as long as they hold up?

TEEJ: We obviously aren't on the same page. I was asking exactly what this guy nailed. Why pay $100 more for one BL over the other? They all give you a 1" BL, so who cares what they are made of so long as it is a quality material?

Quick Reply: 2" body lift