Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2.8l CRD

Old 11-06-2013, 05:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.8l CRD

Anyone swap a diesel out of a junked liberty?? What type of fitment issues, electrical, etc?
Old 11-06-2013, 06:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out diesel toys out of Texas they do the 2.8L swap....

Wish I had the funds to do it through them but an LS is more affordable right now....
Old 11-06-2013, 06:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ya funds not ready here to have it done, but if I could pick up a engine at a decent price and build it, may take a few years before installed but just something to play with
Old 11-06-2013, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would'nt waste your time with the 2.8L, Trust me I owned a 2.8L Liberty. Does it make great torque and power? Absolutley, its awesome to drive.

The problem is that it is unreliable. Do some reading in the CRD Section on Lostkjs.com, Timing belt failures that destroy the engine, valve train going bad, turbos going bad (Can't rebuild like most turbos, have to buy a new one), poor designed EGR system for emissions that destroys the motor/turbo, You need a perfect fuel system because the motor will not run with the slightest air leak. Glow Plug Issues.

Parts are hard to find and expensive.... Timing belt needs replacing every 80,000 miles and it takes special tools that are hard to find in the US and cost a ton. Very difficult to replace your self.

If they used the motor for longer than 2 years in the US alot of this would be not be a big deal, but since there just was not very many here it raises the price of everything. They are complicated motors, and even most of the dealers do not know what they are doing when it comes to fixing them.

My Liberty CRD ran great for the most part, I ran 32 inch tires and I still got about 30mpg. I live in Colorado and it would go up mountain passes at 70-80mph like you were going down hill. I only sold it because if you do some research most of these motors are ticking time bombs... There is never really a small issue with them, when they go its usually something serious and expensive.

Taking it out on the trail was not enjoyable because all I did was be worried I was going to get stranded do to the motor quiting. Most of the time you can't just go to autozone to get the part, you have to get on ebay and order parts from Europe.

The Cummins Four Cylinder is much more simple and reliable and can be had for 1500-2000 dollars and there is alot out there. You probably will not find a CRD 2.8 motor for less than 4000.00 that you know runs right. (CRD motors on ebay right now are going for 4600-7000 for a complete (used) motor) CRD motors are in demand because there are not many here and they are not lasting like most diesels, you are lucky to get a 150,000 miles out of one.

Last edited by skates04; 11-06-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the input, u have swayed me back to 4bt! Want a reliable diesel with readily available parts, dont need something cant get parts for down the street! Thanks again!
Old 11-06-2013, 08:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

If im right my mini van motor weighs a little over 400lb, a 4bt almost 800lb! Probably not a bad idea to beef up front end before I get ahead of myself
Old 11-07-2013, 09:14 AM
JK Freak

4bt's are great. Have one in my dozer and the bloody thing wont die. Its loud, heavy and vibrates like a train but bullet proof. Parts are easy to find too. Most truck and heavy equipment shops have parts. But install will need to be done professionally and mpg estimates have been false. Your not going to get 30mpg on 35s and bumpers. Think about torque output as well, which can hover around 400lb/t. Dana 60 rear will be needed and 44 min front. Dont run deep gears if you keep the stock 44 rear, you will strip those in no time. I love the thought of a diesel swap but ive leaned towards a SC for now.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:06 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by courtsm3
4bt's are great. Have one in my dozer and the bloody thing wont die. Its loud, heavy and vibrates like a train but bullet proof. Parts are easy to find too. Most truck and heavy equipment shops have parts. But install will need to be done professionally and mpg estimates have been false. Your not going to get 30mpg on 35s and bumpers. Think about torque output as well, which can hover around 400lb/t. Dana 60 rear will be needed and 44 min front. Dont run deep gears if you keep the stock 44 rear, you will strip those in no time. I love the thought of a diesel swap but ive leaned towards a SC for now.
Side note, I think a used SC is going up for sale in your area....
Old 11-07-2013, 10:32 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TOTL Innovations

Side note, I think a used SC is going up for sale in your area....
Yes, if its ADV's. sprintex with custom IC setup. Just waiting to get back from my shift rotation in Alberta.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:56 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by courtsm3
Yes, if its ADV's. sprintex with custom IC setup. Just waiting to get back from my shift rotation in Alberta.
Nope the one I am thinking of is an Avenger SC. Friend of mine is going to an LS...

Quick Reply: 2.8l CRD