Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2.5 vs 3 Suspension lift

Old 11-03-2016, 09:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
They make like 15 or 20 different coils for the JK, divided by model and load rate.
Good info!!! I understand the last point u made, just didn't know they made more than 4 types of coils.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just purchased the 2.5" HD Old Man Emu lift kit, for my JKU-Rubicon which is also my DD but will be my overland JKU as well. I'm going to be installing the kit in the next 2-3! weeks and can give you some feed back on it if you like. The reason why I got the HD kit was cause of the overlanding that I will be using it for. I have a Gobie Stealth Roof Rack coming in 6-8 weeks, will be making and installing a 3 tier storage system in the rear along with an ARB freezer, and a RTT. I can give you a break down of the lift thy i have if you need.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:59 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Back in 08 not long after OME came out with JK coils, I was talked into HD front coils and MD rear coils by the sites most vocal vendor at the time. (winch and full width steel bumper up front, stock rear bumper, relatively light overall).

Even with the bumper/winch, the front ended up at about 3.25" on those (2 inch) HD coils, with the front sitting about 1/2" higher than the rear MD coils. Very noticeable reverse rake. And gave a very harsh ride that I was never really happy with, especially when seeing all the great reviews of a plush ride from pretty much everyone else running OME. (Also ended up needing all the things that were not included in the kit, that at the time I had no clue about. Caster correction, axle centering, brake lines, front driveshaft, roll center correction, then started into the steering components and a flip )

- it's all about research and buying the right coils for your use and expected load. And being able to live with the ride when you are not running that heavy load...

Last edited by nthinuf; 11-04-2016 at 09:02 AM.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Back in 08 not long after OME came out with JK coils, I was talked into HD front coils and MD rear coils by the sites most vocal vendor at the time. (winch and full width steel bumper up front, stock rear bumper, relatively light overall). Even with the bumper/winch, the front ended up at about 3.25" on those (2 inch) HD coils, with the front sitting about 1/2" higher than the rear MD coils. Very noticeable reverse rake. And gave a very harsh ride that I was never really happy with, especially when seeing all the great reviews of a plush ride from pretty much everyone else running OME. (Also ended up needing all the things that were not included in the kit, that at the time I had no clue about. Caster correction, axle centering, brake lines, front driveshaft, roll center correction, then started into the steering components and a flip ) - it's all about research and buying the right coils for your use and expected load. And being able to live with the ride when you are not running that heavy load...
I here you on that. I bought my kit in pieces 2619 front coils, 2620 rear coils, brake extensions, front rear shock, front and rear Tera Flex adjustable monster track bars, rear track bar relocation bracket, disconnect for the front. If I'm forgetting anything I'll edit. But this will be my DD and also my overland rig.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by ReadyToMount
I agree with the replies. Be honest with the following. Budget and vehicle use. Huge gap from a entry level kit to a full blown rock crawling, desert running kit. Both can be just 2.5 to 3 inch lift heights. If you list a budget then I can help narrow down what options our customers have been happy with.
Take up this offer. There's a lot of lifts out there and they're all good at one thing or another. There isn't a "perfect" lift for everything out there. If there was, we would all be getting that same lift and there wouldn't be so many choices.

Start with items:
1. Budget
2. What will be your main focus of performance and intended daily uses of your JK for wanting to add a lift? (Looks, On road DD, Weekend Warrior, Hard core Rock Crawling, Mud Bogger, Sand Dunner, Deep Woods exploration, Overlander, Snow beast, Fire and Rescue, etc, etc, etc.)
3. What size of tire do you want to put on and what made you choose that size?
4. How often do you see yourself wanting to continue down the mod and maintenance machine?

Answers to those type of questions will get the advise machine rolling of suggestions of what to get and what to avoid and the reasons why. Any suggestion of a lift before those type of questions are answered are just based on that particular individual's preferences and making an assumption that just because that's what they wanted, then everyone else must have the same preference taste of use and budget as them.

Last edited by Rednroll; 11-04-2016 at 09:30 AM.

Quick Reply: 2.5 vs 3 Suspension lift