Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2.5 teraflex question

Old 01-06-2013, 07:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jhwalland
Looking forward to the list of stuff you used when you lifted. As far as the tires I will most likely keep the 285/70/17 tires for now but when they wear out I'll move up to a 34 or 35" tire. I will be buying new aftermarket wheels with the proper backspacing before I get the lift. As far as the type if trails I won't be doing anything hardcore by any means.
Sorry this took so long.

So there are many places to consider when lifting over 3" and cost does get pretty significant. If you don't do hard core trails and you are only targeting 35's I'd look at staying in the 2.5"-3" range. Here are some thoughts on why. When I lifted mine, I thought I'd stick with my 295's. lifted it with the TF 2.5" coil/shock. Instantly the "extras" started. the new tires started to pop my tailgate, so I had to purchase a tire carrier. After about a year I noticed my steering was a little "loose". Took it in and all of my my Trackbar, tie rods, ball joints and drag link ends were worn and needed replacing. Now this is probably a bit of being a 2007 but the added tire size surely expedited this process. So I replaced all of these. While I was under there I also noticed my driveshaft had a nice "ring" to it from scraping my skidplate. Keep in mine this was with only a 2.5" lift and no quick discos. So I replaced my driveshaft with an aftermarket one. Then just for fun I added extended brake lines as I noticed when I did disco these were too short. While I was under there I added 1" spacers as I thought I had some sag in my springs. (turns out my springs and original shocks were shot, so I did have sag, however, TF replaced them and when I got new ones in I went well over 4" off lift). I ended up adding the AEV drop brackets to help the ride and steering until I could afford full control arms..

Moral of this story, is if you don't have the time, resources, or desire to truly build up your JK, I'd stick w/ 2.5". I had enough problems with 2.5" and 3.5" made it only worse. With that said, One thing you could do is remove the stock spacers up front, add in the 2" TF leveling spacer and TF 2.5" coil in the front and the 1" TF leving spacer and 2.5" coil in the rear. I'd put money that this setup would take out your rake.. if not, just purchase new spacers for the front or rear only and save some cash. This is if you want to get in to the issues I listed above when lifting over 3".

Everyone on here will have a different experience lfiting their JK but this is what I went through. I've had my 3.5" of lift for almost a year and my 2.5" kit for almost 2 1/2 years. Overall its been fun, but has been constant work trying to dial it in. I love the look of it and its capabilities are phenomenal, but the headache of trying to figure out what is constantly wrong is annoying. I wish I had about $2000 more to fine tune it (Control arms, rear trackbar) but I don't so it is what it is. Not to mention I'm hoping my stock D30 will last.

So here's a couple of pictures. I've put all mods on hold as we're expecting our second kid and I'm stuck between making it work for a family or selling and going another route. Should I keep it, this spring will be more mods to "dial it in".. if you have any specific questions, let me know...

3.5" of lift
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120514_191737.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	406524

2.5" of lift
Click image for larger version

Name:	JK-Leaves 01.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	406525Click image for larger version

Name:	-142105107970013625.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	406526Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeepin_010.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	406527
Old 01-07-2013, 06:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for sharing rdubb1031, I'm sure that will help a few people (including me).
Old 01-07-2013, 06:26 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by doc307
I have been running the teraflex 2.5" kit for almost 4 years now with 35's.
I trimmed the fenders and all is well. Since I have a 2dr I did not want the
added expense to go any taller.

I am still running the teraflex shocks as well and the have been good.
They are now starting to leak so I guess I will be in the market for new
shocks soon.
I'm sure I can get those replaced under warranty for you.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by doc307
I have been running the teraflex 2.5" kit for almost 4 years now with 35's.
I trimmed the fenders and all is well. Since I have a 2dr I did not want the
added expense to go any taller.

I am still running the teraflex shocks as well and the have been good.
They are now starting to leak so I guess I will be in the market for new
shocks soon.
Any Pics? i have a 2dr with 2.5 Terraflex coil lift and I am thinking about going with some flat fenders.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SCHLEPPN02
Thanks for sharing rdubb1031, I'm sure that will help a few people (including me).
Keep in mind this was my experience, but as we all know, everyone's experience is different. I knew going in to the 3.5" of lift my brakes, driveshaft, steering would have all been an issue, so I just fixed it first. I still need the rear trackbar as the one I have get some weird torque to it. Also, I'd love to flip my drag link and get my steering stabilizer up to help with alignment, but I can't find the exact info I need from Currie to figure out how to do this. (they have very poor customer service imho) Also, I'd love to do control arms, but thats a big number. I haven't even gotten in to the rockers, roof rack, and other items I want to add..
Old 01-08-2013, 03:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
I'm sure I can get those replaced under warranty for you.
I sent you a PM. Man that would be awesome if you could get them replaced.
I don't have very many miles on the lift and continue to be impressed with the
kit as a whole.

Quick Reply: 2.5 teraflex question