Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2.5 teraflex question

Old 01-04-2013, 09:07 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jhwalland
Ok thanks for the help. I think I need to do some more research on it. Maybe I should just toss the level kit and start over and get the right coil lift to get the 3.5" I want.
Start with a TeraFlex 2.5" coil lift and add some 1/2" coil spacers to it.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started with the 2.5" teraflex coil lift and jumped up to arms and 3" coils... Absolutely no regrets
Old 01-04-2013, 09:52 AM
JK Junkie

Disregard that. If I tossed the rear spacer I currently have and got a 2" spacer to replace it and I kept the 2" spacer I have in the front then in theory I would have a 5" lift up front and 4" in the rear. Now, that being said, would the shock extensions and all the other parts in the 2.5" teraflex coil lift still work given that I'm adding an additional 2" to the lift? If not, would it work if I added just an additional 1" to the lift instead of 2"? I'm sorry if this is confusing I'm just trying to figure out my options. Thanks in advance.
If u only plan on running 35's I wouldn't even put in the spacers, just run the 2.5" lift and maybe buy some flat fenders or cut Ur stock ones. Im running 2.5"lift with a 1.25" body lift, flat fenders on 37's with no rubbing problems

Last edited by bob-o; 01-04-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:06 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Start with a TeraFlex 2.5" coil lift and add some 1/2" coil spacers to it.
Ok if I did that would the kit that has the stick shock extensions work? Or would I need to get the kit with shocks since I'd be adding the spacers?
Old 01-04-2013, 10:08 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Ok if I did that would the kit that has the stick shock extensions work? Or would I need to get the kit with shocks since I'd be adding the spacers?
It will be fine.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:30 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
It will be fine.
Thank you! I'm new to this stuff. I'm used to lowering trucks. Lifting is a whole new ball game
Old 01-04-2013, 11:16 AM
JK Freak

Thank you! I'm new to this stuff. I'm used to lowering trucks. Lifting is a whole new ball game
Before you do anything I would suggest reading a little more in the forum about the implications of going with a lift of 3.5" or more. To keep good road manners and dependability I would recommend a 2.5" coil lift.

Once you go 3.5" or more you are right on the border of having to do all 8 control arms ( minimum of 4 lowers ), your front DS, as well as brake line extensions and a front adj trackbar, draglink flip kit, etc, etc, etc..

Not to mention your Jeep is a little older so you might start having to replace things like Ball joints soon. This all adds up to some serious $$$$. I love my TF lift ( 2.5" coils and Bilsteins ), but upgrading to a 3.5" or more sets off a chain reaction of things to consider upgrading.

Start with 2.5" coils....you can always go bigger and sell your coils to someone down the road. That's my advice.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:54 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm running the TF2.5" kit with 1" spacers on top. Love it. Did have to add more parts but have some ideas for you. Let me get home to a computer and i'll type them up....until then do a search I have plenty posted on all of this...from tire carrier impacts to ride quality to driveshafts.... things to consider your jk should hqve come with a stock spacer up front if that is still there you have caj use or rkove in conjunction with the leveling kit and lift. Also what are looking to run tire size? And trail type? 5" could be overkill and costly if you don't need it..I'll post more in a bit.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:58 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rdubb1031
I'm running the TF2.5" kit with 1" spacers on top. Love it. Did have to add more parts but have some ideas for you. Let me get home to a computer and i'll type them up....until then do a search I have plenty posted on all of this...from tire carrier impacts to ride quality to driveshafts.... things to consider your jk should hqve come with a stock spacer up front if that is still there you have caj use or rkove in conjunction with the leveling kit and lift. Also what are looking to run tire size? And trail type? 5" could be overkill and costly if you don't need it..I'll post more in a bit.
Looking forward to the list of stuff you used when you lifted. As far as the tires I will most likely keep the 285/70/17 tires for now but when they wear out I'll move up to a 34 or 35" tire. I will be buying new aftermarket wheels with the proper backspacing before I get the lift. As far as the type if trails I won't be doing anything hardcore by any means.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:28 PM
JK Super Freak

I have been running the teraflex 2.5" kit for almost 4 years now with 35's.
I trimmed the fenders and all is well. Since I have a 2dr I did not want the
added expense to go any taller.

I am still running the teraflex shocks as well and the have been good.
They are now starting to leak so I guess I will be in the market for new
shocks soon.

Quick Reply: 2.5 teraflex question