Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2..5" Suspension Lift...What Else Will I Need?

Old 06-28-2010, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2..5" Suspension Lift...What Else Will I Need?

OK, I've read the sticky on this subject (and all other subjects in the sticky for that matter), searched here and other forums, read the latest article in JP Magazine from the June issue regarding budget lifts, but I'm still left with some confusion.

I have a 2010 Unlimited Sport 4dr 4wd w/ 6 spd manual transmission. While this is my daily driver, I have already often gone off road quite a bit and plan on doing quite a bit more.

I'd like to find a lift that's safe, reliable, allows the use of 35" tires, but one that's also affordable. It sounds like a 2.5" suspension lift will be the minimum of what I need, and Teraflex's 2.5" BB lift with adapters (spacers, bumpstops, rear trackbar bracket, shock extentsions, rear swaybar links and brakeline ext. hardware all included) should do it (as long as I have the proper backspacing on my wheels, that is).

Question is...can I expect any additional "surprises" to emmerge once I've gone this route? I understand if I go 3" or higher, I'll need to replace driveshafts. Potentially, I'll need to replace long arms (if I have the correct term) and possibly some other things.

Point is, if I go with that particular Teraflex kit, will that ultimately be all I'll need or can I anticipate additional parts needed?

Thanks for your help guys and gals...

DrPhil
Old 06-28-2010, 09:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think some guys are recomending an adjustable track bar or track bar relocation bracket. Don't think you need it but it will keep the axle from being slightly off set on the jeep.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jonboy
I think some guys are recomending an adjustable track bar or track bar relocation bracket. Don't think you need it but it will keep the axle from being slightly off set on the jeep.
meaning...? Will it cause me to drive down the highway at a slightly off angle? If so, I've seen some people like that and that now explains it! If that IS the case...any downside to that, mechanically speaking?
Old 06-28-2010, 09:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by drphil
meaning...? Will it cause me to drive down the highway at a slightly off angle? If so, I've seen some people like that and that now explains it! If that IS the case...any downside to that, mechanically speaking?
Anytime the vehicle wanders to a certain side it will cause that sides tires to wear faster, but if its just slight no real mechanical problems. Just make sure you have sway bar disconnects that are long enough, and either shocks or shock adapters. 2.5 is mild manored and very nice. I had the TF and it was complete and rode great
Old 06-28-2010, 09:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikeyB
Anytime the vehicle wanders to a certain side it will cause that sides tires to wear faster, but if its just slight no real mechanical problems. Just make sure you have sway bar disconnects that are long enough, and either shocks or shock adapters. 2.5 is mild manored and very nice. I had the TF and it was complete and rode great
great to hear...thanks! the teraflex package i'm looking at comes with shock adapters. so this makes me happy!

i wonder how necessary it is/will be to re-gear after going to 35's. (that step would still be a few months away though)
Old 06-28-2010, 09:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by drphil
great to hear...thanks! the teraflex package i'm looking at comes with shock adapters. so this makes me happy!

i wonder how necessary it is/will be to re-gear after going to 35's. (that step would still be a few months away though)
What gears do you have. I have 4.10 auto w/ 33s and they annoy me. I came from a manual 4.10 so I am biased. I think 33s look good on the 2.5 kit especially if you dont want to regear soon. But you can also get 35s that are not as wide as 12.5s and get a little more performance.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikeyB
What gears do you have. I have 4.10 auto w/ 33s and they annoy me. I came from a manual 4.10 so I am biased. I think 33s look good on the 2.5 kit especially if you dont want to regear soon. But you can also get 35s that are not as wide as 12.5s and get a little more performance.
and that brings up my next thought...having to regear in the future. i currently have 3.73 with the manual transmission. i'd like to have power when i accelerate, but i'd also like to get up to 70mph (or slightly higher) without getting into the higher RPM's!
Old 06-28-2010, 10:11 AM
JK Junkie

Looks like you are going to do something similar to what I did. I got the coils vice the BB from teraflex and ran that for about 6 months before I added anything. Eventually got the adjustable trackbars because Northridge was having a sale. Did I have to get it no, did it help yes. Then went 35's with 3.73 gears auto. Power did drop but it was never a sports car. Just got the 5.13's put in and life is awesome It has acceleration and does great on the highways.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JayhawkJeep
Looks like you are going to do something similar to what I did. I got the coils vice the BB from teraflex and ran that for about 6 months before I added anything. Eventually got the adjustable trackbars because Northridge was having a sale. Did I have to get it no, did it help yes. Then went 35's with 3.73 gears auto. Power did drop but it was never a sports car. Just got the 5.13's put in and life is awesome It has acceleration and does great on the highways.
i like to hear that, but then again...i dont. more money!!! lol

i guess i should say i did already upgrade from the 29" tires to sahara-take-offs somebody had for sale (32"). i'll likely leave the 32's on until they really need replacing (probably about 14mos from now), and then go to 35's (not sure 33's are enough to satisfy me, but we'll see)!
Old 06-28-2010, 10:23 AM
JK Newbie

I have a 2.5" skyjacker. It is what I can afford and all that I needed... I like the ride a lot better than the Spacer Boost I used to have. The main reason for me is tire clearance (in about six months i'll be due for a new set, upgrading to 35's..).

I off-road and the performance is great. Not as much crawling, more mud/trails. It can still flex pretty well, I have been meaning to get some pictures up.

Quick Reply: 2..5" Suspension Lift...What Else Will I Need?