Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2.5 Rubicon Express Lift Install - 1st Install

Old 07-19-2016, 12:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5 Rubicon Express Lift Install - 1st Install

Looking over the instructions for the RE7141 M lift, I'm kind of nervous about doing an install by myself with the lack of pictures in the instructions to verify I'm doing everything correctly. I've searched all over for a video of this lift install, but I've came up with nothing. Is there a video out there I'm missing that someone could kindly link or any advise for doing a lift on my own?

4WP quoted me $1382 for lift and tire/wheel install, flashcal and tire carrier which is far out of my budget when I'm just looking to learn how to install it myself, and save the money to put towards something else.

Last edited by heycody; 07-19-2016 at 12:21 AM.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:24 AM
JK Junkie

Youtube has plenty of install videos. Teraflex has a few good ones. Just remember to loosen all the control arm and track bar bolts. Torque after the new coils are in and jeep is back on the ground.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:34 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

PM incoming Cody. I'll be out of town but I've got a good friend that offered to help out and it's not his first rodeo by a long shot.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

I'm an over planner when it comes to working on my JK and recently installed my 1st lift by myself which was a Mopar 2in lift which came with instructions that didn't include hardly any pictures. So I had the same concerns as you. The Mopar lift is a very similar lift as the RE.

What I did was go to the two Teraflex lift install write-ups I linked below and grab a bunch of pictures and include them in my lift's instructions. I converted the PDF version of the instructions to Word and edited away, adding additional notes and inserting pictures. I now have a Mopar 2in install instructions for dummies hand book. All the bolts are the same, so all the wrench sizes they mention were the same. I spent about 2 weeks updating my install instructions prior to installing my lift, by the time I was done editing I pretty much knew exactly which wrenches I needed to do each particular step and had the type and size of wrench I needed written down next to each step along with all the torques when it was time to tighten things back down.

There were a few head scratchers along the way, where I was able to figure most of it out but then there were a couple where I just needed to take a break, get on this forum and ask for some tips/advise from the more knowledgeable folks like Karls10jk and kjeeper10 who are always fantastic helping others out with great advise.

I guarantee if you go through these install write-ups and update your instructions, you won't have any problems. Really, the only thing that might be different are the order of steps and the TF 4in includes additional parts such as upper/lower control arm replacements.

Great resources for the 1st time DIYer lift installer:

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up

http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/t...?articleID=441

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwY0yjWfBok

Last edited by Rednroll; 07-19-2016 at 04:57 AM.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

The common tools you will need are as follows.

Sizes 15mm, 16mm, 18mm, 19mm, and 21mm.

From those sizes listed above you will want Deep well sockets, standard sockets, Standard Combo open/closed end wrenches and Ratchet wrenches for each of those sizes listed.
Then from there here are some other common tools which I would recommend to bring along for the ride as well.
- 1/2" 16-20" breaker bar
- 1/2" ratchet
- Multiple length 1/2" Wobble end socket extensions
- Electric Impact wrench
- 1/2" Torque wrench
- PB Blaster
- Vise Grips
- Cheater pipe
- Hammer
- Floor Jack
- (2) Jack stands

Last edited by Rednroll; 07-19-2016 at 05:20 AM.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:48 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

As you may have picked up from the other replies, you do not need a 'Rubicon Express' write-up, or a 'Rubicon Express' video.

For this type of lift, they all use basically the same steps. The only differences will be in the specific components you get in your kit vs the specific components that were installed in the video/writeup. (fixed arms vs adjustable arms, brackets vs adjustable, cams vs... That kind of stuff.) Just find one using similar components and you are good to go.

Then post any questions or problems you run into.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:07 PM
JK Newbie

thanks for the tips everyone, I'm going to meet up with Karl's friend and do the lift with him.

Quick Reply: 2.5 Rubicon Express Lift Install - 1st Install