Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2.5" RK vs 3" EVO

Old 02-09-2014, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5" RK vs 3" EVO

Hi Guys,

Finally decided on the type of lift (going with coils) and now I am trying set on the final coil/shocks combo. I am looking for a smooth riding setup, that nets more than 2" (due to rear CRC-lind and front JKS steering reinforcement) and not more than 3" (due to DS vs exhaust issues on Pentastar).

As regards the shocks I decided to go with King 2.5" reservoir (3.5-5"). As regards the coils I deciding between RK 2.5" triple rate vs. 3" EVO Plush. Would anybody be able to shed some light on the following questions?

- does anybody already has experience with RK 2.5 triple rate (ideally someone, who can compare them)?
- since EVO suggest King shocks with their Plush coils (this would seem as an advantageous combo, if the dealer already matched the srpings with the shocks), does anybody know, whether EVO revalves these shock to match their springs (I know they do revalve King coilovers, but do they revalve also standard King shocks), or I can just buy the 2.5 OEM shocks King offers for Jeep JK?
- would anybody suggest whether to go with adjustable shocks or whether the non-adjustable are sufficiently well balanced for "any" use (in my case relatively light JKU - no bumpers, winches, etc...)?

Thanks,
Old 02-09-2014, 01:18 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both springs will net you more than advertised unless you got some weight then they should settle in at bout advertised height. I wanna say EVO does revalue them to their plush rude coils. You can choose the plush kit on their site and add the king shocks to it. I had kings and for in road they weren't really any better than the fox I have. They weren't adjustable. So maybe look into the adjustable unless your wanting to save some money. I'm sure either you go with paired with the plush coils will be fine. Especially if valves by EVO
Old 02-09-2014, 01:51 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
Both springs will net you more than advertised unless you got some weight then they should settle in at bout advertised height. I wanna say EVO does revalue them to their plush rude coils. You can choose the plush kit on their site and add the king shocks to it. I had kings and for in road they weren't really any better than the fox I have. They weren't adjustable. So maybe look into the adjustable unless your wanting to save some money. I'm sure either you go with paired with the plush coils will be fine. Especially if valves by EVO
You mentioned having the kings but which coils did you have them with? Where your Kings revolved to match your springs? Just curious since I'm looking at some of the same things.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:21 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Mdrnizd
You mentioned having the kings but which coils did you have them with? Where your Kings revolved to match your springs? Just curious since I'm looking at some of the same things.
Teraflex coils. No not revalved but neither are the fox I have. I got then from a member. They had just been rebuilt and they were in excellent condition. I was running fox 2.0 and put them on and there was hardly a difference in on road driving. Offroad a lot better but most of my driving is on road so I couldn't justify them. So I out my fox back on. Still a grata shock and do more than I need then for.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:23 PM
JK Junkie

By the way I have the new 2.5" RK coils. Hopefully I can get them on in the next day or 2 and update you on how they are.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
By the way I have the new 2.5" RK coils. Hopefully I can get them on in the next day or 2 and update you on how they are.
Please do! Anxious to see any comment on those:-)
Old 02-10-2014, 07:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's the old saying?

"A fool and his money....."

I'd be looking at completing your research with a call to N0rthridge to ask about the financing program on replacements (ah.... something all those guys pitching and running expensive rear shocks fail to talk about very often).

On mine.... after spending into the four figures on middle range shocks, I decided the 30.00 pro comp shit shock was the best thing going. Of course, the ride wasn't a ton better than a blown shock, but at least I could afford to carry spares.

If you are a mall crawler... carry on, those would look great next to the monster truck that you'll park your king shocked out jeep next to, at the back of the lot. BLING-BLING!
Old 02-10-2014, 08:48 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ABENDX
What's the old saying? "A fool and his money....." I'd be looking at completing your research with a call to N0rthridge to ask about the financing program on replacements (ah.... something all those guys pitching and running expensive rear shocks fail to talk about very often). On mine.... after spending into the four figures on middle range shocks, I decided the 30.00 pro comp shit shock was the best thing going. Of course, the ride wasn't a ton better than a blown shock, but at least I could afford to carry spares. If you are a mall crawler... carry on, those would look great next to the monster truck that you'll park your king shocked out jeep next to, at the back of the lot. BLING-BLING!
Ha why anyone would spend 4 figures for middle range shocks is beyond me. But hey to each their own. I don't think kings are mid range.

Last edited by DunnyBunny; 02-10-2014 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Huh? Read my post twice each time before posting a response please. On more than one occasion you've changed the meaning of my post in your response.

To you and anyone: If I'm hitting buttons, it really isn't my point. I fully understand "purchase defense" and that it doesn't belong here while attempting to help others.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:22 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ABENDX
Huh? Read my post twice each time before posting a response please. On more than one occasion you've changed the meaning of my post in your response. To you and anyone: If I'm hitting buttons, it really isn't my point. I fully understand "purchase defense" and that it doesn't belong here while attempting to help others.
My apologies. I'm not changing your meaning. I'm simply interpreting it my own way based off your whole post and then posting my own response. Not hitting my buttons. Curious where I did this the first time though.

Last edited by DunnyBunny; 02-10-2014 at 11:42 AM.

Quick Reply: 2.5" RK vs 3" EVO