Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2.5" rc

Old 08-03-2009, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dxbjeep
I've decided to go with a 2.5 inch lift for my 2dr JK, but i've been reading through many posts and it seems that if I were to go with a Rough country 2.5 I would need a couple of extra parts at some point. But could I run just the suspension kit pictured below as it is without extra's?

I dont go hardcore offroading, and most probably won't do in the future, I just want a little more height for clearance and looks and to fit 33"tires in the future.

So would it be better to go with this:

Or this:

The jeep is my Daily driver. I don't want to have to keep adding different parts to the suspension lift to make it work correctly.

So my question is....... if I buy the suspension lift i the first pic, is there any advantages over just buying the spacer kit in the second picture?

Any body else think that those rear shock adapters w/ the spacer kit look incredibly weak. I wouldn't run with RC spacer kit.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a spacer lift (superlift) on my JK for about a year in Japan. It worked fine with my 33s and lots of runs through the mud. Once I got to SD I switched to the RC 2.5 coil lift and 3/4" daystar spacers to give me a little more room for flexing on the rocks in the socal area.

If you plan to eventually go with some HD bumpers, tire carrier and a winch the stock springs will compress about 3/4" to and inch. I've been running my current set-up for about a month now on my daily driver and have had no problems.

I say go with the coils and better shocks, you'll end up doing it later if you don't do it now.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is your 2-door an auto or manual? If it's a manual, you can run the RC kit by itself...sort of.

Any suspension kit that raises the vehicle is going to probaby need longer front swaybar connects to orient the sway bar parallel to the frame rails. I'm not sure if you can just swap the rears into the front and the fronts into the rear to take car of the issue. RC sell a set for the front that is reasonably priced.

The other things that you can install are adjustable track bars; but, a lot of people do not do this with this kit, and have no noticeable axle side-side shift. Even if there is shift, it's like .75" or something like that.

The RC coil lift kit is an excellent kit for the money. I would choose it over any budget boost kit, which typically consists of spacers, shock extensions, maybe springs, a trackbar relocation bracket, etc.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Also, I've wheeled the RC 2.2 coil lift kit pretty hard and drive about 25 miles daily. I've had it for a few thousand miles now; and it's been great, including being comfortable on the street.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great advice. I'll install the kit and see how it sits, then go looking to order a couple of the parts which really should come with the kit, like the endlinks and the relocation bracket.

Problem is that I live so far away and its always extra $$$$ for shipping so need to make sure I get whats absolutely necessary before placing orders, we only really have one half decent shop here and that doesnt stock everything needed unfortunatly.

Quick Reply: 2.5" rc