Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2.5" rc

Old 08-01-2009, 11:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2.5" rc

I've decided to go with a 2.5 inch lift for my 2dr JK, but i've been reading through many posts and it seems that if I were to go with a Rough country 2.5 I would need a couple of extra parts at some point. But could I run just the suspension kit pictured below as it is without extra's?

I dont go hardcore offroading, and most probably won't do in the future, I just want a little more height for clearance and looks and to fit 33"tires in the future.

So would it be better to go with this:

Or this:

The jeep is my Daily driver. I don't want to have to keep adding different parts to the suspension lift to make it work correctly.

So my question is....... if I buy the suspension lift i the first pic, is there any advantages over just buying the spacer kit in the second picture?

Last edited by dxbjeep; 08-01-2009 at 11:38 PM. Reason: extra info
Old 08-01-2009, 11:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dxbjeep
I've decided to go with a 2.5 inch lift for my 2dr JK, but i've been reading through many posts and it seems that if I were to go with a Rough country 2.5 I would need a couple of extra parts at some point. But could I run just the suspension kit pictured below as it is without extra's?

I dont go hardcore offroading, and most probably won't do in the future, I just want a little more height for clearance and looks and to fit 33"tires in the future.

So would it be better to go with this:

Or this:

The jeep is my Daily driver. I don't want to have to keep adding different parts to the suspension lift to make it work correctly.

So my question is....... if I buy the suspension lift i the first pic, is there any advantages over just buying the spacer kit in the second picture?
well i know if your use the spacers you will have the same ride you have now just taller you are using the same springs and shocks if you go with the coil kit it mite ride softer or firmer i have not run there springs and shocks before but it mite change the ride . both kits you mite want to get a rear track bar or relocation bracket . ether one will work for what you want to do .if you trim the fenders you should be able to put 33" on with out a lift
Old 08-02-2009, 02:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I purchased the 2.5 coil lift along with Rogh Country's rear trac bar relocation bracket. it drives great without doing anything else to the suspension. After the lift was installed and th jeep went up on the lift, you can see the few extras that are recommended by several people to correct if yo take it off-roading.
Such as the rear brake lines: had a piece of steal lying around to extend them to correct this.
front sway bar link: I fixed this with the new RC adjustable quick disconnect.

Now you could change many many other things or nothing at all with this lift. The lift and bracket are great for onroad and easy wheeling, just as long as you are not stuffing the tires. I decided on the springs over spacers to start with because i can always add spacers on the new coils for added lift. Hope this helps.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ej428bj
Now you could change many many other things or nothing at all with this lift. The lift and bracket are great for onroad and easy wheeling, just as long as you are not stuffing the tires. I decided on the springs over spacers to start with because i can always add spacers on the new coils for added lift. Hope this helps.
It does make sense to get the coils and shocks and then add spacers at a later date if I want more lift, The problem I have is that, being in Dubai I have very limited options and the 2.5" with shocks and coils is available now in the shop. The problem is they don't have the other parts like the bracket so I would need to order them from the states.

If I went for the basic coils and shocks kit, can I run it without any other parts? Or will I need to get the rear trackbar etc etc to make it drive straight?
Old 08-02-2009, 04:08 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by dxbjeep
... The problem is they don't have the other parts like the bracket so I would need to order them from the states. ... If I went for the basic coils and shocks kit, can I run it without any other parts? Or will I need to get the rear trackbar etc etc to make it drive straight?
The three most cited shortcomings of the RC kits:

1. No brake line extensions for the rear. This is how I fixed that with a bracket from the hardware store ...

2. No bump stops extensions. However, the RC 2.2 shocks, which are part of the coil kit you've pictured, but not that spacer kit, have the bump stops built onto the shock shaft.

3. No track bar relocation bracket. After installing the spacer lift, I checked my tracking very closely. I cannot see any significant axle shift, so I've no installed a relocation bracket. A few have reported ridiculous axle shift--even up to 1-1/2". I've never read what they ultimately learned as to why theirs shifted so much.

Bottom Line: If you're okay with the change in ride, I think you'll be happy with the coil kit. I plan to upgrade to a coil kit in the near future because I'll be installing a rear bumper and will need to fix the droop.

Good luck!
Old 08-02-2009, 05:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

if your comfortable without the relocation bracket i know many guys who just run the springs and shocks with no problems at all. its what your comfortable with. i say get the coil lift and enjoy it
Old 08-02-2009, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

I run that exact spring shock setup with absolutely no additional pieces and it works just fine. I did the Northwoods Jeep Jamboree this past weekend and had no issues with flexing or anything. I didn't install a track bar or extend the brake lines or anything. If you don't do any extreme offroading you will be fine with just the shocks and springs.

The ride is a bit stiffer than stock.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ibjeepr
I run that exact spring shock setup with absolutely no additional pieces and it works just fine. I did the Northwoods Jeep Jamboree this past weekend and had no issues with flexing or anything. I didn't install a track bar or extend the brake lines or anything. If you don't do any extreme offroading you will be fine with just the shocks and springs.

The ride is a bit stiffer than stock.
I quite like the stock ride, but beign a little bit stiffer would be perfect. And like you say, for no extreme offroading this may be perfect for what im looking for.

I was out this weekend just gone and didnt catch anything underneath, and I wouldnt be doing anything much bigger (rock-wise) than I just did, the usual offroad stuff out here is desert dunes anyhow, so catching the underneath isnt much of a problem. thanks for the comments, hopefully by tomorrow you will have made my mind up to go with the coils and shocks and i'll go get it and install it.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Bump - a few more opinions would be great regarding the coil/shock kits without using any other hardware.

I will fabricate a brake bracket myself, but just want some more info to see if I should go ahead and install the coil/shock kit without any other hardware.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've gone ahead and purchased the basic coil and shock kit, 2.5" and will probably look to add spacers at later date to take it upto 3"

hopefully i'll be happy with this lift, i'll put some pics up of the install and give my feedback once i've had a few drives on it.

Quick Reply: 2.5" rc