Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2.5" Lift Debate

Old 12-15-2012, 04:18 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If that's the case I would certainly save up for a kit with at least adjustable front lower control arms. Having correct caster is very important, and the adjustable lower arms will allow you to dial it in properly. It really depends on what your willing to spend on a lift. The ones you are looking at are great lifts don't get me wrong, but they aren't exactly the "best".
Old 12-15-2012, 04:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah maybe that wasn't the best wording. But at 2.5" these seem to be the front runners. And LCA's are definitely in the plan along with an adjustable trac.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:24 PM
Former Vendor

If you want a quote on anything send me a PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smashboogie 4x4
If that's the case I would certainly save up for a kit with at least adjustable front lower control arms. Having correct caster is very important, and the adjustable lower arms will allow you to dial it in properly. It really depends on what your willing to spend on a lift. The ones you are looking at are great lifts don't get me wrong, but they aren't exactly the "best".
^^^ x2 ^^^
Old 12-15-2012, 05:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmcgill25
To start let me say I have a 2012 JKU Sport with 285/70/17 Duratracs. Alright so I've finally decided I'm going with 2.5" of lift after reading for months about 2.5" vs. higher. I'm down to two lifts and cannot decide on which. Both have nothing but good reviews but I need help! My choices are down to Teraflex 2.5" coil lift with Bilstein 5100s or the AEV 2.5" Dualsport which comes with Bilstein 5100s. I can get the TF for $750 or the AEV for $900. It's my understanding that both are for the most part complete packages that wouldn't require me to purchase anything else immediately. (I realize there are several components I would want/need to replace later on) I guess my biggest question is: Is the AEV worth the extra $150? I know it comes with a few extras that the TF doesn't include but are these things worth the extra money or is the price based more on a name?

If it makes a difference this is my DD and only a once every few weeks crawler/trail rider.
By the time you add Bilsteins and a rear trackbar to the TF kit, the prices are about the same.

AFAIK, the TF kit is tougher in the rocks and the AEV is more effective running fast trails. Both kits will do either, though.

Either kit should have an AEV Geometry Correction Bracket or a pair of adjustable front lower control arms to tweak the castor and pinion angles.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think I like the aev geometry idea better than aftermarket control arms. From the information I've been reading the stock control arms are superior to the aftermarket ones.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:07 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jrmcgill25
I think I like the aev geometry idea better than aftermarket control arms. From the information I've been reading the stock control arms are superior to the aftermarket ones.
Completely disagree. Most of the aftermarket arms will be way stronger than the factory arms. For instance Rock Krawler's arms are all 2" solid steel. That is way stronger than the factory arm. In addition the aftermarket arms have monoball bushings this a allows for more travel with out having bushings bind. Everything about the aftermarket arm is better than the factory arm.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The AEV kit comes with a rear track bar and brake line drop brackets where as the Teraflex kit does not. Rock Krawler also makes a nice 2.5 coil lift that comes with an adjustable front track. Let me know if you would like a quote on any of these lifts.
The 2.5" teraflex kit does come with rear brake line relocation brackets and a rear trackbar bracket.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Completely disagree. Most of the aftermarket arms will be way stronger than the factory arms. For instance Rock Krawler's arms are all 2" solid steel. That is way stronger than the factory arm. In addition the aftermarket arms have monoball bushings this a allows for more travel with out having bushings bind. Everything about the aftermarket arm is better than the factory arm.
Agree with this. If you want to do any wheeling at all, with a short lift (2.5") you want a least the lower control arms. The higher you go, or if you want the geometry to be 'right' you need to replace the uppers too. The factory arms are garbage once you decide to lift.

AEV lifts are not for wheeling. They are made for looks and better on road handling. If you actually want to wheel it, AEV is no longer an option. I prefer Rock Krawler. There are many other brands that also to high quality lifts that are built for wheeling. Teraflex, Currie, Metalcloak and many others.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well crap now I'm confused. I've read a few articles and reviews talking about how the stock arms have better bushings and that after market seems to break down and not perform as well. But I've always trusted this board more than random site reviews so I gotta stick with it.

Quick Reply: 2.5" Lift Debate