Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2.5" Lift Check list

Old 12-21-2009, 12:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5" Lift Check list

Ok guys. i did a searcha nd cant find it. i am sure that This is out there. I also looked in the FAQ and use the info from the 3" lift. i want to ask you guys so I can have all my ducks in a row.

I am getting a RC 2.5" Coil lift from a fellow member. Coils and Shocks. I know that this is all the RC kit calls for. I do almost no offroading as this is my DD and cant pay to break anything yet. I need to know are there any other items that I need for on raod drivability with this lift.

In the 3" lift FAQ this is whats called out.

Coils
Bumpstops
Shocks
Breaklines or breakline brackets
sway bar links
adj front track bar
rear track bar bracket
front adj lower and upper controll arms
Old 12-21-2009, 01:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran my 2.5 RC lift all summer with no other additions. Worked fine. BTW, my Jeep is my DD also. I have since added JKS adjustable trackbars and disconnects and brakeline relocation kits but that was mostly because I came into some extra $$$ (and I wheel mine), not because they were necessary for street driving.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For a dd that lift will be fine on its own!
Old 12-21-2009, 01:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Good deal. i keep seeing threads about the lift making the Jeep "flighty" i am taking that as wanting to be all over the road?
Old 12-21-2009, 01:34 PM
JK Newbie

Default What I did

I have this same lift. The only thing I did in addition to the springs and shocks was to fabricate some rear brake like extensions, they are cheap and easy to make.

I bought jack stands, a floor jack and gear wrenches. I had the sockets and drive already. I also bought a tool wrap and put all of the Jeep specific wenches in the Jeep. I sprayed everything with PB Blaster the night before. The front went easy, the only hiccup was the passenger side spring. I had to use the scissor jack from the Jeep to get enough room to put the sping in. Don't put the sway bar links back in until after you have the front tires back on and the front end on the ground.

The back was easier than the front. At the front of the wheel well there are a couple of wires held in with a plastic holder pull holder out. Also there is a bracker holding the parking bracke cables, use a 10mm socket to remove them. I also removed the breather from the top of the axle. Now get to work on the rear. The only help that I needed for the entire install was my wife working the jack while I held the rear springs in place.

Here is the write up reference that I used:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...shocks+install

I have 7K on this lift and have been very pleased with it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lift.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	34380  
Old 12-21-2009, 01:37 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by tprice1985
Good deal. i keep seeing threads about the lift making the Jeep "flighty" i am taking that as wanting to be all over the road?
Those threads are referring to drifty feeling that you get when the Caster angle is not correct. As you lift a vehicle the steering geometry changes and the Caster angle is reduced.

In order to correct the situation, most of us install adjustable lower control arms to increase the Caster. If you are lifting your JK, sooner or later you should consider a pair of front adjustable LCAs.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:39 PM
JK Super Freak

I didn't notice any difference from stock (and I don't have adjustable LCAs).
Old 12-21-2009, 01:41 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

x2, or 3, on what spinlock and seairland said.

Install the lift, see how 'you' think it drives, then decide if you need to address the caster.

Read this one in the Suspension Faq's when you get around to it.
Q: What is Caster? How much do I need?
Old 12-21-2009, 01:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
x2, or 3, on what spinlock and seairland said.

Install the lift, see how 'you' think it drives, then decide if you need to address the caster.

Read this one in the Suspension Faq's when you get around to it.
Q: What is Caster? How much do I need?
I keep seeing the info on caster. I am very very new and havent done much work myself on my past auto's. My dad has always helped me and i am going to try some stuff myself. Thought I need to learn. Dads not always going to be here.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I did the TF 2.5 and thought i could handle it but I drove a friends stock jk and thats when i noticed how much different it really was.
Before i thought i would just live with it but not now. Get some LCA's.

Quick Reply: 2.5" Lift Check list