Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2.5 inch lift - coils VS shocks?

Old 10-12-2009, 10:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5 inch lift - coils VS shocks?

I'm looking at the Teraflex 2.5 inch lift kits. One kit comes with new shocks and re-uses the OEM coils. The other comes with new coils and re-uses the OEM shocks. Any opinions on which is better.

I have a 4-door X automatic and have swapped in stock Rubicon shocks and coils. I'm planning on running 35-inch tires and will trim fenders if necessary.

thanks All.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:25 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The TeraFlex shocks will allow for 2"-3" more flex than the stock shocks with extensions.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:29 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by tuffluv
I'm looking at the Teraflex 2.5 inch lift kits. One kit comes with new shocks and re-uses the OEM coils. The other comes with new coils and re-uses the OEM shocks. Any opinions on which is better.

I have a 4-door X automatic and have swapped in stock Rubicon shocks and coils. I'm planning on running 35-inch tires and will trim fenders if necessary.

thanks All.
I myself would go with the coils,but thats just my.02, Talk to joe at Teraflex im sure he can explain the advantages of one over the other as to what you plain on useing it for. Maybe he will chime in later!
Old 10-12-2009, 10:30 AM
JK Freak

He beat me to it , you are fast Joe
Old 10-12-2009, 10:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Maybe I am confused as to what you are asking. It is my understanding that you have a few options with the Teraflex 2.5" kits. This is how I understand it:

2.5" spacer lift with shock adapters (uses OEM coils with OEM shocks)
2.5" spacer lift with new shocks (uses OEM coils)
2.5" coil lift with shock adapters (new coils, use OEM shocks)
2.5" coil lift with new shocks (new coils, new shocks).

I am sure there are many different ways you can set this up, but this is the basic information as I understand it. It depends on how you want to set up your rig. I personally went with the coil lift with new shocks. The OEM coils tend to sag after adding aftermarket bumpers etc... Hope this helps.

Damn, you guys are fast...maybe I just type to slow.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

So it sound slike the kit with the new shocks and re-used Rubicon coils will allow for 2 or 3" more travel than the kit with new coils and re-used Rubicon shocks.

Am I understanding you correctly Joe?
Old 10-12-2009, 12:17 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no joe said you get 2-3" more travel with terraflex shocks over rubicon shocks.if i had the money.. which i will when i order lift.. i would get the coil lift with new shocks. you cant get better lift than with matched components. the spacers are a waste imo unless you cant $$ the new shocks. i have a rubicon and i would, in a heart beat, get a full coil set up with shocks.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tuffluv
So it sound slike the kit with the new shocks and re-used Rubicon coils will allow for 2 or 3" more travel than the kit with new coils and re-used Rubicon shocks.

Am I understanding you correctly Joe?
The Tera shocks will give about 1.5" more down travel than the stock Rubi shocks with extentions, but the Rubi shocks are nice, so I would use the Rubi shocks and extentions with the spring lift. since that seems to be the price range you plan on staying in. Also a spring lift flexes better than a budget boost since your coils can bind on a budget boost limiting your up travel more so than on a spring lift.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:35 PM
JK Newbie

I went with the 2.5 coil lift with shocks,
Received it today the kit looks solid.
Now my adventure to install this weekend, too tired to install after work
Old 10-12-2009, 12:37 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

You are trying to stay under a certain budget?

If there isn't a firm budget, get the kit with Coils & Shocks now.

If you can't spend that much, get the Coil kit with shock extensions, then get the longer shocks when you can afford them.

(check the prices on individual coils also. There have been several posts from people buying coils to upgrade a spacer BB that have said the cost of coils alone is the same as the full coil kit. Just seems a bit more financially sound to buy the coil kit and add shocks, than to buy the spacer kit and add coils...)

Last edited by nthinuf; 10-12-2009 at 12:44 PM.

Quick Reply: 2.5 inch lift - coils VS shocks?