Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2.5 bb... What else do I need to replace with this...

Old 01-17-2012, 09:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
If you have a 2012 with a TeraFlex kit with shock extensions, you do not need the exhaust spacers. Only if you change out the shocks, do you need them.
i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this is wrong...

i have the 2.5" bb on my 2012 JKU with stock shocks and the shock adapters. i damaged my boot weekend before last on a trail near marble falls, tx.

one thing i have found is that blanket statements like always and never will come back to bite you in the arse...

maybe most JKU's will not have the issue, but mine did and i checked and double checked everything after the damage. not to mention i had it installed by Jeep Masters in Austin. i could have done it myself, but i didnt want to take a chance on a jeep i just spent 30 grand on.

i posted in another thread about a neighbor who bought the 1.5" leveling kit after i got my 2.5" bb installed. after my damage, we looked at his and i will say it is way too close for comfort. when disconnected at full droop the DS is less than finger space from the exhaust cross pipe. at this point if left at full droop for too long, you may end up melting the boot rather than damaging by contact.

it's been said here many times... do it right once instead of doing it cheap (and multiple times). i couldnt agree more. now i am looking to replace the bb with a 3.5" coil lift and new DS.

my mistake was buying a BB for anything other than looks. I'm not saying Teraflex makes a bad product (and they have been helpful in resolving the issue), but if you really want to disco and ride the trails, you need a different kit. i hate the term "mall crawler" - but i understand why people use it. if you want a more aggressive look and minimal cost and modifications and dont plan on disconnecting and trail hogging, then a BB is for you!
Old 01-17-2012, 09:44 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ALEXANDERJASON
i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this is wrong...

i have the 2.5" bb on my 2012 JKU with stock shocks and the shock adapters. i damaged my boot weekend before last on a trail near marble falls, tx.

one thing i have found is that blanket statements like always and never will come back to bite you in the arse...

maybe most JKU's will not have the issue, but mine did and i checked and double checked everything after the damage. not to mention i had it installed by Jeep Masters in Austin. i could have done it myself, but i didnt want to take a chance on a jeep i just spent 30 grand on.

i posted in another thread about a neighbor who bought the 1.5" leveling kit after i got my 2.5" bb installed. after my damage, we looked at his and i will say it is way too close for comfort. when disconnected at full droop the DS is less than finger space from the exhaust cross pipe. at this point if left at full droop for too long, you may end up melting the boot rather than damaging by contact.

it's been said here many times... do it right once instead of doing it cheap (and multiple times). i couldnt agree more. now i am looking to replace the bb with a 3.5" coil lift and new DS.

my mistake was buying a BB for anything other than looks. I'm not saying Teraflex makes a bad product (and they have been helpful in resolving the issue), but if you really want to disco and ride the trails, you need a different kit. i hate the term "mall crawler" - but i understand why people use it. if you want a more aggressive look and minimal cost and modifications and dont plan on disconnecting and trail hogging, then a BB is for you!
Thanks for the information, TeraFlex will now recommend #2610000 exhaust spacers for any 2.5" kit and taller.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you Teraflex!! You know, you can tell alot about a company in how they deal with customers who have problems. It may come as no surprise to many here, but Teraflex has been very helpful in dealing with this issue and i appreciate the support.

Good products can only take you so far. Good Customer service takes you the rest of the way.

I am wanting to buy quick disconnects for my Jeep and will not look any further than Teraflex.

Also, fwiw, those of you who say a bb is a bb is a bb - have not compared them side by side. Even though i have decided to go another way, and the BB is coming off, i am glad i chose Teraflex and sent the RC kit i purchased first packing (on Craigslist).

RK 3.5 max travel soon to come...
Old 01-17-2012, 03:46 PM
JK Newbie

I know you are talking about a 2012 JK, but for info purposes...
We have a 2010 JK and installed a 2.5 Teraflex BB (kit with new shocks) and it did come with everything. While we have not done any serious wheeling yet, and probably will not do anything really crazy with it, I can tell you that there was nothing else we needed that the kit did not come with.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:51 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Lotus F1
Thanks for the real world report..that's most helpful.

Being I have a Sahara and cannot disconnect do you think that would make a difference? My initial impression is that it should be OK as mine won't drop out as much.

you can disconnect a sahara or any jk for that matter , you just can't do it by pushing a button!
Old 01-18-2012, 03:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am looking at the 2.5 BB kit with the longer shocks. I will "probably" never disconnect my bars. I say that because in 25 years I haven't had to, yet. Will I still need the exhaust spacer with that set up ?? I am not a serious weekend warrior, but I do stupid stuff when it presents itself.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:19 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by IKE2011
I am looking at the 2.5 BB kit with the longer shocks. I will "probably" never disconnect my bars. I say that because in 25 years I haven't had to, yet. Will I still need the exhaust spacer with that set up ?? I am not a serious weekend warrior, but I do stupid stuff when it presents itself.
love that part
Old 01-18-2012, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah man, you gotta enjoy the little things!!

Quick Reply: 2.5 bb... What else do I need to replace with this...