Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2.5 Air tank install w/ARB air compress.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5 Air tank install w/ARB air compress.

Okay after going to the JK event in Moab I stop by a local 4x4 shop and found a air tank for $80 which is a good looking tank so I went ahead and purchase it. After a couple weeks of having it in the living room on the floor I decided I'm going to install the tank. I already had a ARB compressor and I want to hard line it to the tank and install a air gauge along with it. Now the big problem I had was where to put the tank. I looked under the chassis and I really didn't like putting it under the jeep after what I went though in Moab going over rocks and such. So here is what I came up with and I hope this will help you out as well. What I came up with was to install it within the front bumper. The bumper I have is a M.O.O.R.E. stubby with factory fogs. I used the front cross frame as a mount by cutting it so it could be used as tank mounts and trimming it so the tank would set down on it. The tank came with rubber mounts and bolts. I installed a relief valve for safety. I also when with a brass quick disconnect and brass pipe to thread it on so it would not rust. I bent my tubing up to the pump double flaring the ends and installed a tee for the gauge. Also I put a drain valve under the tank so I can drain the water out. The hard lines I painted black so they would match the others under the hood and used a Abel clamps to hold the line in place. What is nice the this setup is, it really hides the tank and I don't have to open the hood to air up. Now I just reach under the front a little ways by the drivers side sway bar mount and hook it up. Now the only disadvantage I ran into was its hard to reach the insides bolts for the bumper and it was a little hard to plug in the fog lights. Here are some picture of this I hope this well help you all if you try to do this too.

Last edited by Preciousmetal; 05-01-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:00 PM
JK Newbie

thats great wish I could mount mine in the same spot
Old 05-01-2009, 07:21 AM
JK Freak

thats a great location. thanks for the post.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Do you think i can do that whith mi mopar steel front bumper???????
or where else can i put my tank???
Old 05-01-2009, 03:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tento0929
Do you think i can do that whith mi mopar steel front bumper???????
or where else can i put my tank???
I'm not sure about your bumper. The best thing to do is look at some air tanks after you measure how much room you have inside the bumper and go from there. They make tanks in all kinds of sizes so it should be easy to find one that fits your needs. I know ours JK owners install there tank where the Muffler is and just relocated the exhaust. Again that doesn't work for me it's another low space when rock climbing. Some have mounted them on the frame between the drive shaft and exhaust, ( I didn't like that either). Some also mount them inside and I guess that would be okay except it takes up some storage space. Well good luck I'm sure you'll find what you need!
Old 05-01-2009, 05:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

ive mesuered and i im going to put it just like you did but, after i solve the tank install, how do i install the compressor where you put it???? doesent the heat damage the compresor???
thanks
Old 05-01-2009, 06:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Wow, I didn't think there would be enough room to mount an airtank behind the bumper. Smokin'
Old 05-01-2009, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tento0929
ive mesuered and i im going to put it just like you did but, after i solve the tank install, how do i install the compressor where you put it???? doesent the heat damage the compresor???
thanks
You can get this from one of the JK sponsors (Alpha Expeditions) complete with air hose and tire filler and mount.

Quick Reply: 2.5 Air tank install w/ARB air compress.