Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2.5 to 4 inch build

Old 07-09-2012, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5 to 4 inch build

I'm currently running the Teraflex 2.5" coil lift with shock extenders and front Teraflex LCAs. I want to go to a 4 inch lift, but want to build it up as money allows and do it the correct way. I figure I need the following:

Front driveshaft
Shocks (debating Elka, Fox or Bilstein)
Brake line extensions

Question... Do I need the following:
Rear control arms (lower, upper or both)
Adjustable trackbar (front, rear or both)
Swaybar links (2.5 lift came with rears, but I assume they are sized for the 2.5 lift)

Anything else I am leaving out (aside from the obvious springs)?
Old 07-09-2012, 06:48 PM
JK Junkie

I did this and what I learned was you will need to upgrade a lot of components going from a 2.5 to a 4 lift. I added new coils, then all 8 flex arms to get everything centered to where it should be, then addressed the steering issues and added a flipped Currie steering kit with sector shaft brace and a Currie tie-rod. Finally adding a rear adjs trackbar and repositioning the rear coils because they will bow at that height. That finally got everything squared away and it drives like a dream now. Dialing everything in is the biggest part.

so to obvi answer your ?'s yes I'd get new sway links, all arms if $$ allows, if not then front lowers and rear uppers, and both trackbars. I'd also op for the TF rear trackbar brace to compensate for stress on the rear trackbar with a lift over 3"s

Last edited by fadeout; 07-09-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fadeout
I did this and what I learned was you will need to upgrade a lot of components going from a 2.5 to a 4 lift. I added new coils, then all 8 flex arms to get everything centered to where it should be, then addressed the steering issues and added a flipped Currie steering kit with sector shaft brace and a Currie tie-rod. Finally adding a rear adjs trackbar and repositioning the rear coils because they will bow at that height. That finally got everything squared away and it drives like a dream now. Dialing everything in is the biggest part.
So you put the springs on before everything else?
Old 07-09-2012, 06:59 PM
JK Junkie

Nah I did it all at one time correctly. I knew what I was getting into and bought accordingly then added everything at once.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Cool. Thanks for the info
Old 07-09-2012, 07:29 PM
JK Super Freak

I just went from a tf 2.5" lift to evo 4" springs. I installed the springs and am doing what i can little by little. All i have added so far is front track bar and front lower control arms. No problems yet but next is longer shocks and brake lines. Thats all im going to do until i go long arm.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:36 PM
sky
JK Enthusiast

So no one went w/ a longer driveshaft?
Old 07-10-2012, 06:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sky
So no one went w/ a longer driveshaft?
This is my first planned step.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:03 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jksooner
This is my first planned step.
I'd make it my last step if it was me. Unless you have a 2012, then I would swap those last. You can easily run stock drive shafts on a 4dr with a 4" lift. You will need longer swaybar links also for the front. TeraFlex uses the same 12.25" rears in 2.5"-4" kits.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
I'd make it my last step if it was me. Unless you have a 2012, then I would swap those last. You can easily run stock drive shafts on a 4dr with a 4" lift. You will need longer swaybar links also for the front. TeraFlex uses the same 12.25" rears in 2.5"-4" kits.
Clarify please... stock drive shaft on 2012 is ok with 4" lift? I have the Teraflex exhaust spacers. Also, on the front links... do I need longer than the rears that moved to the front when I did my 2.5" lift?

What would you suggest I do as first steps? Longer shocks? The other control arms?

Quick Reply: 2.5 to 4 inch build