Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2.5 or 3' lift mod

Old 08-04-2012, 05:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5 or 3' lift mod

Putting either a 2.5 bb or a 3" lift on my 08 jeep jk unlimited x. Just have a few questions. 1: What brand lift is recomended and make sure it comes with what Accessories? 2: I will be running 35's I already feel that the stock 3.8 and its gearing is a bit weak, so how much power will I be losing running the bigger tires? 3: Should I regear? Also my intention was to go 3' but with what im reading I will have to replace the front ds with one thats not as thick. 4:Is this true even if im not Off roading? As for now this Jk will pretty much only be on the highway.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well all depends on how much$$$ you wanna spend. when you change the engineering of your vehicel you should do it as complete as possible. with 35' tires your opening a can of worms that you should be prepared to deal with properly. get the most complete lift you can afford so that you can adjust the pinon angle and get the best ride. you'll have to gear down to 5:13 gears and eventually change your drive shafts but not right away
Old 08-04-2012, 06:00 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by medbender
well all depends on how much$$$ you wanna spend. when you change the engineering of your vehicel you should do it as complete as possible. with 35' tires your opening a can of worms that you should be prepared to deal with properly. get the most complete lift you can afford so that you can adjust the pinon angle and get the best ride. you'll have to gear down to 5:13 gears and eventually change your drive shafts but not right away
Was wanting to stay around the 3,000 range. not sure thats possible with having to regear. I want to do this right, I would rather put back the pennies for a while longer then to end up screwing the feel of the factory ride to much. I have been reading for months and have heard so many diffrent things about different lifts, gearing, handling, spring sag on some and not on others and so on. Like i said, if im going to do it and sink that kind of money in it< i want it to be right. Thanks for the input, if you have more advice or recomendations please feel free.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

over the years i've spent alot of cash replacing parts that i've already modified. I think the best thing is to know what you anticipate using your jeep for. alot of folks start out convinced they'll never hit the rocks just so they can justify the crappy lift theyre about to buy. if you want to keep your jeep for many years get the best stuff for the purpose you intend
Old 08-04-2012, 06:22 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by belldwb
2: I will be running 35's I already feel that the stock 3.8 and its gearing is a bit weak, so how much power will I be losing running the bigger tires?
You will lose some power and some mileage, but it's nothing to cry about. You don't even need to regear, simply use 1 lower gear.

3: Should I regear? Also my intention was to go 3' but with what im reading I will have to replace the front ds with one thats not as thick.
On a JKU you don't need to replace the front DS on such short lift.

4:Is this true even if im not Off roading?
You don't have to replace it especially if you're not off roading.

As for now this Jk will pretty much only be on the highway.
You'll be totally fine. Pick a lift that you like and just go ahead
Old 08-04-2012, 07:57 PM
JK Newbie

Sounds good, thanks again!
Old 08-05-2012, 09:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

I went with AEV's 2.5" lift kit. It came with everything you need to install it. Actually gave me a full 3" of lift when it was finished up. You can run 35's but I chose to go with 33's to save a little on mpg (only lost about 1-2mpg) I love it, makes my Jeep ride a lot better than it did before and going 33's still looks awesome. I'd recommend that lift, some people say AEV is more expensive, but I didn't care it does everything I want it to do for me.

Quick Reply: 2.5 or 3' lift mod