Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2.5 or 3 inch lift... Little or no off rd.. Maybe beach

Old 01-17-2011, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Xnight
Well guys, I am 99% leaning towards the terraflex budget lift WITH shocks, and most likely 33's ( can someone tell me which 33's are best for daily driver?)... Your help has been greatly appreciated!!

Don't forget about the tire question plz
BFG AT/TKO. Great tires, great on highway as well as off-road
Old 01-17-2011, 12:51 PM
JK Newbie

anybody? anybody wish to second that advice? .... in my 97 TJ i had BFG AT T/A's and i slid all over the place anytime ground was wet, are TKO's different from T/A's???

Last edited by Xnight; 01-17-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:53 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Ok so im gonna do the terraflex budget leveling kit, one more question, do i have to change the shocks? or the stock ones will do?... and talk to me about spacers needed for a specific size tire on the stock rim...
New shocks, or adding extensions to your current shocks, will improve the flex off-road (the axle will drop further). On-road only, you will be fine with your stock shocks.

When moving to taller/wider tires, you may find that they rub. (some possible locations - the plastic skid, the links, the trackbar, the front bumper, the fenders, the pinch seam, the rock rails, etc). Stock rims have the tires tucked way back inside the wheel well, so when you go to a bigger tire, you may find that you need wheel spacers to move the tires/rims further out. Where and how bad you rub will depend on the tire size.

Since you won't be going offroad, you probably won't have to worry about rubbing the fenders or bumper, but you may find that you rub components inside the wheel well. In that case, the 'fix' is to move the tires further out with either spacers or new rims. Without knowing the actual tire size (both height and width), it is hard to say...
Old 01-17-2011, 01:02 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Which tire you go with depends a lot on the budget. Those BFG's are a great, well proven tire. But they are expensive. My last set of AT's were the Nitto Terra Grapplers. More aggressive looking than the BFG, performed well on street and trail, and I thought they were better on snow and ice than the BFG's. Can't comment on other sizes, but in the 295/75/16's I was looking at, the nitto's were almost $50 less per tire.

Another option I have been looking at are the Wildpeak AT's. From the reviews, they sound like a great option.
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-new/fa...t-tires-direct
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...light=wildpeak
Old 01-17-2011, 01:16 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
New shocks, or adding extensions to your current shocks, will improve the flex off-road (the axle will drop further). On-road only, you will be fine with your stock shocks.

When moving to taller/wider tires, you may find that they rub. (some possible locations - the plastic skid, the links, the trackbar, the front bumper, the fenders, the pinch seam, the rock rails, etc). Stock rims have the tires tucked way back inside the wheel well, so when you go to a bigger tire, you may find that you need wheel spacers to move the tires/rims further out. Where and how bad you rub will depend on the tire size.

Since you won't be going offroad, you probably won't have to worry about rubbing the fenders or bumper, but you may find that you rub components inside the wheel well. In that case, the 'fix' is to move the tires further out with either spacers or new rims. Without knowing the actual tire size (both height and width), it is hard to say...
yeah man.. i have decided to go with the kit with the shocks... i cant believe tires are gonna be the hardest part....oh, how big do spacers have to be to run 33's?
Old 01-17-2011, 01:38 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

With a 33x10.50, you may not need them. With a 12.50, it is more likely that you will rub. Put them on and check before spending the money. If the rubbing is light, you could also bring your steer stops in a bit. You will lose some turning radius, but won't have to add spacers.

If you do get spacers:
Go with 1.25" - 1.5". This type has two sets of bolts. (the spacer is bolted to the hub, then the rim is bolted to the spacer. You will want to install them per the instructions, and re-check at every rotation.

The 'other' style is a thin disc that is sandwiched between the hub and rim, and reduces the amount of thread that the lugnuts have to hold your tires/rims in place. A lot of people may use these, but very few on this site will recommend them.

Your other option is to just buy new rims with less backspace.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:54 PM
JK Newbie

+1 to the TF 2.5" lift.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:19 PM
JK Newbie

I have a 2010 Sahara 2DR, 2.5 Teraflex lift, 35 inch Nittos. 1.25 inch spidertrax wheel spacers. Love the whole set up, the new ride is ALOT stiffer, but I love that? might not be your ideal?

I run into slight grab of the flares at FULL FLEX, anything shy of that is clear and I sit about 1 inch outside my flares, so not a big deal (no tickets/VIs)

Go 2.5 or 3. With a 2 door I wouldnt get into anything higher or you will run into a bunch of issues, unless you plan on throwing on a bumper/bumpers soon? then do 3.5 and let it sag to 2.75-3. shouldnt have any issues with that?

Goodluck!
Old 01-17-2011, 07:51 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MYBLUEJK
I have a 2010 Sahara 2DR, 2.5 Teraflex lift, 35 inch Nittos. 1.25 inch spidertrax wheel spacers. Love the whole set up, the new ride is ALOT stiffer, but I love that? might not be your ideal?

I run into slight grab of the flares at FULL FLEX, anything shy of that is clear and I sit about 1 inch outside my flares, so not a big deal (no tickets/VIs)

Go 2.5 or 3. With a 2 door I wouldnt get into anything higher or you will run into a bunch of issues, unless you plan on throwing on a bumper/bumpers soon? then do 3.5 and let it sag to 2.75-3. shouldnt have any issues with that?

Goodluck!
Cool, i may be PM'ng you a couple of times lol... i am now reaching the pinnacle of my research, its definetly the 2.5 budget boost, and if i can put 35's on my stock rims that may be the choice, i looked at the spacers you mentioned and understand what you meant about installation ( the good ones) but i didnt see 1.25, i saw only 1.5 @Northridge.com, i guess thats something i can get from another merchant. As far as needing them, when the time comes to buying tires, i'll see depending if i go 33's or 35's.

As far as the stiff ride.... i want to get this done before i get to used to this ones ride lol, stiff is ok i guess

I confrimed with my mechanic buddy today that he will assist in installing this lift kit at his shop.

Anyways man thanks for the input!!!... do you have any pictures of your JK in the forum?
Old 01-19-2011, 10:45 AM
JK Newbie

anybody? anybody wish to second that advice? .... in my 97 TJ i had BFG AT T/A's and i slid all over the place anytime ground was wet, are TKO's different from T/A's???
The BFG All Terrains are really good tires and they look pretty cool on black wheels too, I've had one set on my Chevy 3/4 ton and I'm on my second set now, no complaints, but like someone else said they are expensive, but if you rotate them as reccomended, you'll get your money's worth. Shop around for them and if you have an America's/Discount Tire store in your area they'll usally match anyones price.

Quick Reply: 2.5 or 3 inch lift... Little or no off rd.. Maybe beach