Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2.5 or 3 inch lift... Little or no off rd.. Maybe beach

Old 01-15-2011, 12:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
That is actually the point I was getting at. Rather than having someone tell you what to do, do a little research so you know 'why' we are suggesting certain things. -You are going to be getting advice from guys based on their personal experience, personal preference, and how they use their rigs, which may have absolutely nothing to do with how you will use your JK, right?

So, start with what size tires you are wanting to run. Chop your flares, and you can run 35's with no lift. On-Road only, you could run 35's with a 2" BB and stock flares (and minimal extra components). You can run 37's with a small lift and chopped flares.

The lift height given by coils varies quite a bit. Depending on which mfg, you could get 4" from a 2.5" coil, or 5+ from a 3" coil. As you go higher, you will need to dump more and more money into adding components to bring you back to a 'stock' ride with good 'on-road' handling.

So again, decide on the tire size and the budget before you get too far into choosing a lift.

My opinion: Chop your flares, get new wheels with the right backspacer (or wheel spacer) and slap some 35's on. If you decide to go with a lift, look at a leveling kit or small BB. This will let you put bigger tires on for minimal investment. If you decide you need to be higher, and want those 2.5-3" coils, be prepared to add components for re-centering the axles, adjusting the caster, leveling the swaybars, correcting the steering angles, etc...
Ok... The leveling kit sounds like what I need, and in regards to tires, whatever I can put on stock rims and doesn't sacrifice the ride to much... I understand the spacer concept, but I dont want to chop my flares. I dont worry about different opinions... I understand guys like different setups, I just need it to look good.
Again dude, point me in the right direction.... Regarding manufacturers Leveling kit.... 33's or 35's... I have no budget as long as it stays simple...

I can't thank you enough, I promise I will do enough research before committing to anything you recommend
Old 01-15-2011, 01:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default 2.5 Budget Boost is what you want!

Get a Teraflex of Rough Country Budget Boost..you will need NOTHING else and can run 33 or 35's no problem...without changing on-road performance....EASY!
Old 01-15-2011, 01:33 PM
JK Freak

Put in to consideration your additions as well, are you going to add and after market bumper, winch? What do they weigh if your are going to add these?
Old 01-15-2011, 07:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default lift and tires

If you aren't going to be out trail riding where flex is not an issue, a budget boost would be fine if you are after looks only. 2 to 2.5 inches will go a long way to give you what you need. I currently have 2.5 BB up front and 1.75 in the back. Leveled it out good. I am running 35s, no spacers, with after market bumpers front and rear with a winch out front and it got rid of the rake, sits up nice. It wont flex hard or the 35s hit the fenders. But I currently dont get into that too much. And, it still handles well on the street and highway.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:48 PM
JK Newbie

-2" Spacer Lift kit from Rubicon Express (Lifts front and rear 2", Easy install, Includes shocks, Keeps your factory ride)

-1" Body Lift from Performance Accessories (Lifts front and rear 1", Easy install, Keeps your factory ride)

-Both lifts together will give you an nice 3" lift without compromising ride quality, steering / drive angles, etc.

-Bushwacker Flat Fender Flares

-35x12.50x17 Toyo Open Country MT

-Spidertrax Wheel Spacers or After Market Wheels

This would give your JK a nice offroad look and would still be very functional offroad.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:37 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Xnight
Ok so I'm not gonna pretend to be an off roader... Lol I was just wondering if you guys can advise on a COMPLETE 2.5 or 3 inch lift kit that I can pretty much do myself... I have access to tools needed... I have a 2007 sahara jk 2D. It's just for looks, maybe a few beach drives, and what max size tires could I use...

Thanks much
Pay attention to what ntinuf said obviously the other posters didn't READ you're post as to what you want to do with your Jeep. You don't need a spring lift to do what you want to do. You can easily run 35's by either modifying your flares our buying a set of after market ones. As ntinuf said with lifts comes road manner problems. At most just add a spacer leveling kit it will maintain the same ride as stock and no handling issues. You should still be able to do some light off-roding if you want. I believe you will be happy with the way it looks.

Last edited by Rhino64; 01-16-2011 at 05:18 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Trail master 3" budget

I just installed the TrailMaster 3" budget lift. For about $300 - $350 (depending on where you get it) it is a complete kit, shocks, front track bar, rear track bar bracket and spring spacers.

I have had the lift for about a week, on road the ride is slightly stiffer from the new shocks (reuse factory springs). Off road the kit impressed me. It flexed well, and gave me the extra clearance I needed to get over obstacles.

I installed it in my garage in about 5 hours with multiple interruptions, and basic hand tools. You will need a drill and drill bits up to 7/16. The install went well and the instructions are clear and concise, with pictures.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rhino64
Pay attention to what ntinuf said obviously the other posters didn't READ you're post as to what you want to do with your Jeep. You don't need a spring lift to do what you want to do. You can easily run 35's by either modifying your flares our buying a set of after market ones. As ntinuf said with lifts comes road manner problems. At most just add a spacer leveling kit it will maintain the same ride as stock and no handling issues. You should still be able to do some light off-roding if you want. I believe you will be happy with the way it looks.
I am not sure how this qualifies as a 2.5"-3" lift.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BearInTheWoods
I contacted Northridge4X4 and asked them the same question to an extent. I am looking for a 3" lift so that I can run 35's and with this being my daily driver, I need a lift that will be sufficient for mild trails and off road as well as keeping my stock ride and driving charachteristics. Northridge suggested the AEV 3.5" Premium lift since they said it will do everything that I am looking to do with my Jeep and the fact that it is a complete lift with everything I would need. I know that the AEV lift is not that popular on this forum but it is one that is on my very short list.
If you are looking to do minimal mods, I would not go with a 3.5" lift. For what you are using it for I would go with 2.5 BB.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Xnight
Ok so I'm not gonna pretend to be an off roader... Lol I was just wondering if you guys can advise on a COMPLETE 2.5 or 3 inch lift kit that I can pretty much do myself... I have access to tools needed... I have a 2007 sahara jk 2D. It's just for looks, maybe a few beach drives, and what max size tires could I use...

Thanks much
Start from the basics, what do you actually use the Jeep for?

If it is just for slow Sunday drives on country roads in the sunshine you can get away with a budget boost and 35" or maybe 37" tires.

If you are driving it on a regular / daily basis just raising the center of gravity and putting much heavier tires on it without supporting it with some suspension improvements is short sighted.

Quick Reply: 2.5 or 3 inch lift... Little or no off rd.. Maybe beach