Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2.5 or 3.5 ?!?!

Old 02-01-2013, 06:07 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Given your situation and sticking with full OEM fenders, we would recommend a 3.5 for a 4 door. If it was a 2 door, a 2.5 would be more than fine!

If you want, give us a shout, we would certainly be more than happy to talk to you about your build!

RK
Old 02-01-2013, 08:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to The forum. You will like the toyo's.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been running my Rubicon Express 3.5 kit since about 2009 (just finishing-up changing my third set of bushings). I think if I would do it all over again I would probably go 2.5 inches on the lift. With my kit I gained about 4 inches of lift up front with a full ARB bumper, a winch, and heavy Pure Jeep sliders. I wheel infrequently and I am not hardcore by any means. I generally use my Jeep to get to whitewater kayak destinations. Don't ever plan on 37s. Going the extra inch may give you extra clearance but creates some other problems.

With a 3.5 inch lift you will definitely need a new front drive shaft as your stocker will eventually puke its grease and is not sevicable. When you place a double cardin driveshaft on your rig, you have to pay close atttention to yor caster setting, otherwise driveline vibes could beome an issue and you could grenade your transfer case. If you are unlucky you could end up with a low caster settings, say aorund 3 degrees and will experience flighty steering. To solve this problem, you would have to upgrade to a dynatrac prorock unlimited with 10 degrees of built in caster and with gears that may set you back somewhere north of $4000. I put on my Coast 1310 last summer before a trip to Moab and left the caster setting conservatively probably arond 3 degrees. Recently I have become tired of the flighty steering and have got my caster to somehwere around 5 degrees which is a bit more than stock setting. I have not had vibes as of yet but am keeping a very close eye on this. I think if my lift was 1 inch less, because of the angles, I might not have as much of a concern. That being said I do have 5.13s so my drive shaft is spinning fairly fast, you say you are sticking with 4.10.

Another thing you will have to adress if you gain more than 3.5 inches is a draglink flip to keep bumpsteer in check and keep excessive forces off of your steering box. I have some bumpsteer but have not done this as of yet, my sterring box is damp at the bottom. The drag link flip will run 200-350, depending if you need a reamer. Putting on the drag link flip will require you run 3 inch bump stops so you will loose some upward travel.

My other reason for a little lower lift is that I tow a fold-up trailer and use a weight distributing hitch, a lower lift would make the set up ot hitch a little easier.

Just my unbiased 2 cents......Have fun

Old 02-01-2013, 09:06 AM
JK Junkie

^ yep.
Running 3 degrees caster for my aftermarket DS and steering is less to be desired. The highsteer kit did help though.
Seems 2 doors are affected more at higher lift heights :(

Do you find low caster to cause excessive tramlining ?
Highway for me is fine. The rutted/uneven roads is starting to become annoying.

Last edited by kjeeper10; 02-01-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
^ yep.
Running 3 degrees caster for my aftermarket DS and steering is less to be desired. The highsteer kit did help though.
Seems 2 doors are affected more at higher lift heights :(

Do you find low caster to cause excessive tramlining ?
Highway for me is fine. The rutted/uneven roads is starting to become annoying.
Yes, following grooves in the highway, but also lateral movements when big rigs come by and just a loose feel overall. On surface streets driving was generarlly okay. After running about 3 degrees for the last 6 months and now moving to 5, the steering feels amazingly good on the highway. I feel no vibes so hoping my front pinion, driveshaft, and transfer case all play nice together.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey is Marcus's JK from RiverCityOffroad 2.5 Flex and then 3.5 x-factor, yet they look ideentical in terms of lift to me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.5 rk 35 toyo.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	417199Click image for larger version

Name:	rk 3.5.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	417200
Old 02-01-2013, 07:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

So beside needing shafts what else?
Old 02-01-2013, 08:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

With a 3.5 inch lift for an Unlimited: front shaft only, make sure your lift as at least one set of adjustable control arms front and back, consider drag link flip, consider sector shaft brace, you live in Colorado and have a 2010 so you are not going to be happy with 4.10s, you will want 4.88s or 5.13. Programer of some sort to tell your computer what your'e running.

With a 2.5 inch lift skip the drag link, adjustable control arms maybe an option although I would still want to dial in my caster, everything else is the same.

35s with a 2010 and 4.10s in Colorado is going to be a fail if you do any mountain driving.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the help. Can you do 75 mph with the 5.13?
Old 02-02-2013, 07:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by burton50x
Thanks for all the help. Can you do 75 mph with the 5.13?
Yes no problem, can't remember the RPMs, but I know at 65 I am right about 2200. Another thing to consider is C-gussets for the front axle to avoid bending the Cs with the extra weight and levarge of 35s. Gussets are relatively cheap insurance.