Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2 or 4atlas experience?

Old 09-28-2020, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

Orazi - towing out of an obstacle is fine. You could tow for quite a way like a mile. It is all about lubrication in the Atlas at close to or at highway speeds that poses the issue discussed in this post. Jeep JK (or should I say 241 TC) have a diff side lube oil pump inside the TCase so that makes it easy to flat tow in TC neutral position.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

2sp Atlas can be ordered with a flat tow option and can be flat towed 200-250 miles on the freeway without.
From what I see there is no flat tow option for the 4sp.
I agree a 4sp is great for a Toyota 4cyl but I don't see any need with a auto or a V8.

My 2sp is quite no noise at all under any conditions.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
The only advantage the atlas gives you is the ability to run front wheel drive or rear wheel drive low. A couple things you rarely use and mainly when doing technical climbing. If you are looking at the 4 speed you better have everything beefed up as breaks things. I have broke 4 transfer case yokes, (now run flanges) front u joints in the pro rock 60, front pro rock 60 axle shaft. The 10.4:1 is too slow to use while doing most wheeling, just use it for extreme buggy lines that don't need momentum. I would recommend tons with front lockout hubs. You simply cant get momentum in the low/low range. I find I generally run in 2.7 (same as the factory ratio) as the 3.8 is just too slow for me. I like to run fast as well as crawling. The atlas is gear driven vs a chain driven like the factory case. Sounds very different when driving and is considered loud compared to the factory if you are anal about noises. My instagram account has some videos from my last trip to sand hollow. "tom.courson" is the account name. I know the video of me straddling the crack was in low/low range.

2 door 6 speed with PR60 front PR80 rear 40's 5.38 gears 1350 front driveshaft 1410 rear.
I have 37s, front and rear 1350 Adams drive shafts, Currie Dana 60 rear axles, Prorock44 fronts, 4.88s Yukon gears with ARB front and rear lockers and other mods too. I will be doing an engine swap soon. Maybe 5.3 or 6.0 from my 189k V6. I am still researching if I should keep my JK a manual with an upgraded trans. I will definitely follow look you up on Instagram. Always looking to see people off-road.

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
Orazi - towing out of an obstacle is fine. You could tow for quite a way like a mile. It is all about lubrication in the Atlas at close to or at highway speeds that poses the issue discussed in this post. Jeep JK (or should I say 241 TC) have a diff side lube oil pump inside the TCase so that makes it easy to flat tow in TC neutral position.
Awsome. Now I have a better understanding.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

If I did the V8 conversion again I would go 6.2 LT (not 6.0LS) and 10 speed auto. Not that I don't love my LT 5.3/8spd just the other combo is unbeatable. You will really like the crawling ability with the V8 torque converter in a V6 application. No issues from the original 4:1 TC/manual now gone.

Sorry for the hijack.

Last edited by Sixty4x4; 09-29-2020 at 12:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mr222jp (09-29-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 05:35 AM
JK Newbie

If I did the V8 conversion again I would go 6.2 LT (not 6.0LS) and 10 speed auto. Not that I don't love my LT 5.3/8spd just the other combo is unbeatable. You will really like the crawling ability with the V8 torque converter in a V6 application. No issues from the original 4:1 TC/manual now gone.

Sorry for the hijack.
The 6.2LT is just too much money. I bet it would be more complicated to install than the other engines. Its also too big. How is the LT 5.3 treating you?
I am also trying my best to keep my JK a manual. I am overseas now, and I wont be home for another few months so I still have a few months to research and think about it.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

The 5.3LT is one step above awesome. Accelerates with light throttle up a hill while changing up gears. Better in every way. I think the 6.2LT is physically the same size as the 5.3 but not 100%. Motech install them all the time.

Last edited by Sixty4x4; 09-30-2020 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:48 AM
JK Newbie

The 5.3LT is one step above awesome. Accelerates with light throttle up a hill while changing up gears. Better in every way. I think the 6.2LT is physically the same size as the 5.3 but not 100%. Motech install them all the time.
The other guys scared me by saying 6.0 is too powerful and stuff start breaking. So now I am leaning more on the 5.3. with an Altas 4spd with safe gears.

Quick Reply: 2 or 4atlas experience?