Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2 or 4atlas experience?

Old 09-13-2020, 11:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2 or 4atlas experience?

Anyone driving their JK with an Atlas installed that can share their experience? Is it worth it? I read a forum where a 2Atlas broke down on the highway.
I am thinking of installing one on a manual.
also, it said flat towing is not recommeded. does that mean I cannot tow a trailer? or my Jeep cannot be towed?

Last edited by Orazi; 09-13-2020 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-14-2020, 02:39 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Flat towing refers to towing your jeep. I have the 4 speed Atlas and if were to do again I would do the 2 speed and save the weight since I rarely use the 10:1 and it tends to break stuff because of the massive torque it puts on your drivelines and axles. Its worth it to me, I like the twin stick option and being able to do a front dig is nice.
Old 09-14-2020, 05:28 AM
JK Newbie

What if the Jeep broke down? It cannot be towed? How does it do on the highway?
Old 09-14-2020, 05:35 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

If it breaks down then you call a rollback or remove the rear shaft if they'll only be scooping the front of the vehicle, but typically they'll have a rollback come get you.
The following users liked this post:
Orazi (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 12:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

2sp...

1 blows up and your worried...
Just order the flat tow option and you can flat tow all day long.
Or stop every 250 miles as Atlas says and start up the motor..etc.
Or just disconnect the DS's and wire up.
The following users liked this post:
Orazi (09-15-2020)
Old 09-27-2020, 03:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

4 Speed

In my mind it's all about options when you find yourself approaching an obstacle, or worse - already stuck in one !

Regardless of which TC you choose (2 or 4 speed) the Atlas gives you control over the individual axles - it's hard to live without that once you've been spoiled !!

I run a 4 speed, and have never looked back ....

Old 09-27-2020, 04:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Creepy Neville
4 Speed

In my mind it's all about options when you find yourself approaching an obstacle, or worse - already stuck in one !

Regardless of which TC you choose (2 or 4 speed) the Atlas gives you control over the individual axles - it's hard to live without that once you've been spoiled !!

I run a 4 speed, and have never looked back ....

And you have manual... Thats awsome. I spoke to Advance Adapters and they said that I can still work with the 4Spd Atlas when I swap to a LS96 (still researching) with a manual. But I have to choose a specific gear ratio.
Did you offroad yet?
Old 09-27-2020, 04:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

Yep !

To be honest, I can't imagine a 4x4 without an Atlas setup ...

I run Dynatrac Prorock 60's front and back, with 5.38 gearing and ARB lockers.

My 6 speed manual transmission is stock.

My Atlas gearing is as follows:

1:1
2.72: 1 (Planetary shifter in Low, no reduction on the axles)
3.8:1 (no reduction on Planetary shifter , axles in Low)
10.4:1 (Planetary shifter in Low, axles in Low) ***

*** Lol - it's nice to have the option of 'going to the basement' when you luck takes a 'hard left' ......

Neville
Old 09-28-2020, 05:56 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Creepy Neville
Yep !

To be honest, I can't imagine a 4x4 without an Atlas setup ...

I run Dynatrac Prorock 60's front and back, with 5.38 gearing and ARB lockers.

My 6 speed manual transmission is stock.

My Atlas gearing is as follows:

1:1
2.72: 1 (Planetary shifter in Low, no reduction on the axles)
3.8:1 (no reduction on Planetary shifter , axles in Low)
10.4:1 (Planetary shifter in Low, axles in Low) ***

*** Lol - it's nice to have the option of 'going to the basement' when you luck takes a 'hard left' ......

Neville
Advanced Adaptor suggested different ratios such as for the 4Spd Atlas. I guess that will the way to go. If I have to flat tow, then I'll disconnect front and rear drive shafts. Hopefully it never comes down to that.
I do have a few questions for you since you have experience. And thank you by the way.
What if I got stuck in a mud pit? Can my Jeep be towed just to get out of it? Like, can it be dragged for like 15ft? or no flat towing at all with the 4Atlas.
Would you have videos of the Atlas in action? I am always down to learn more on off-roading in a manual.

Last edited by Orazi; 09-28-2020 at 05:58 AM.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:34 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

The only advantage the atlas gives you is the ability to run front wheel drive or rear wheel drive low. A couple things you rarely use and mainly when doing technical climbing. If you are looking at the 4 speed you better have everything beefed up as breaks things. I have broke 4 transfer case yokes, (now run flanges) front u joints in the pro rock 60, front pro rock 60 axle shaft. The 10.4:1 is too slow to use while doing most wheeling, just use it for extreme buggy lines that don't need momentum. I would recommend tons with front lockout hubs. You simply cant get momentum in the low/low range. I find I generally run in 2.7 (same as the factory ratio) as the 3.8 is just too slow for me. I like to run fast as well as crawling. The atlas is gear driven vs a chain driven like the factory case. Sounds very different when driving and is considered loud compared to the factory if you are anal about noises. My instagram account has some videos from my last trip to sand hollow. "tom.courson" is the account name. I know the video of me straddling the crack was in low/low range.

2 door 6 speed with PR60 front PR80 rear 40's 5.38 gears 1350 front driveshaft 1410 rear.

Quick Reply: 2 or 4atlas experience?