Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

1st time wrangler owner - build thread

Old 09-09-2012, 08:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 1st time wrangler owner - build thread

so... i finally pulled the trigger on a new wrangler!! i regret that i waited this long.
I've wanted one for a long time. it was never practical for me when they only had 2 doors.
i used to have an old xj and loved it. I’ve had big diesel trucks for several years.
I’ve been eyeing the new four doors since they came out but had heard bad things about the mini van motor,
so as soon as i found out that they upgraded the motor for ’12 i started looking more seriously.

i ended up with a 2012 dark cherry red unlimited. paint matched hard top. auto. 3:21’s (yeah i know...).connectivity group. etc...
dealer made an error in pricing, so i got an amazing deal on it. pretty much got invoice price so i settled on sh*t gears and non power windows/locks. i figured i would re-gear anyway at later date so 3:21’s weren’t a deal breaker. couldn’t pass on the price.

I’ve been creeping around the site for 2 years now (only recently registered), checking out product reviews and reading others threads. this will be my first post i think.

i have a pretty good idea of what kind of ride i want to end up with. figured i would start a build thread to keep track of my mods.
even though i know that some of these things are pretty tiny, i wanted to keep track of everything thing I’ve done so that in the off chance it helps someone else down the road on their build... i intend to include mostly photos after this introduction.

i have right at 2000 miles and so far I have (chronologically):
removed dealer stickers (b*stards), floor mats , got a fitted window shade and a steering wheel cover, found mirrors for when i have the doors off, found and mounted a cargo box, cobra radar detector (hardwired), Garmin gps (hardwired), Spiderweb shade top, ordered a RC 2.5" BB lift, ordered RC bumper end caps, removed factory muffler, painted factory wheels flat black

initial impressions so far:
i really really like the spiderweb shade top. the stock 225 tires are so small its ridiculous. i had 37’s on all my dodge diesels and these little guys are killing me...
the 3.6 seems to be a decent motor so far. can’t wait until they figure out the ecu and get programmers for it.
i like the ride quality, but not the ride height. i ordered the little lift kit for it before i had even picked it up from the dealer.

this will be my main DD and i drive a LOT on the hwys out here in west texas and its completely and entirely flat out here so i decided that a rc 2.5” BB with some 285’s would be fine for now. i plan on checking out the local trails and sand dunes as soon as the lift and tires are on. next summer i want to take a trip to moab to check it out, so thats basically my timeline and intended usage.

i want to ease my way into modifying the jeep so that i only change what i need to when i need to. i feel that this way it gets built to fit my exact needs and isn’t just slapped together based on what others (in different situations and terrains) have done. also i can ease my way into wheeling so that my ride improves as my off road driving experience increases. its like golf or hunting, buy a basic rifle or clubs, get out there and use the sh*t out them, see how it goes, upgrade from there based on what you learn. (my opinion anyway...)

upcoming mods for the jeep (in the order I’m doing them):
Grab handles, Seat covers, Spare tire relocate adapter, Trim pinch seam and front plastic skid plate, 33” (285 75 r16) tires on stock wheels (prob going with bfg tko’s), Spidertrax 1.75” spacers, Smitty rock sliders w steps, Mbrp light bar, Evap relocation bracket, aux lights on bumper bar, Rear tire holder w can/jack holder, 5 gallon Fuel can, High lift jack , Winch plate and fairlead, 9k lbs winch (not decided on a brand yet), Back-up aux lights, Cb radio and antenna, Skid plates for oil pan/tranny, Bushwhacker flat fenders, Snorkel intake, 4:10 gears, Electric cooler fans, Double optima batteries, Windshield light brackets, aux lights on windshield, Discos, 1" body PA lift, Dana 44 front axle, 37" tires on aftermarket wheels, Programmer (if available)

timeline for upcoming mods:
i plan on making these additions to the ride over the course of the next 12 months in the order listed above.
good thing I’m single - no wife to justify purchases to. dumping $$$ into vehicles is much easier when you’re no longer married.

any suggestions would be great.
looking fwd to the build...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 18.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	364071   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 14.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	364072   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 9.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	364073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 4.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	364074   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 3.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	364075  

Old 09-09-2012, 08:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

just a few more

Name:	Image 26.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	364078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 21.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	364079   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 15.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	364080   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 7.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	364081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 30.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	364082  

Old 09-09-2012, 09:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

a local 4x4 shop is going to install the rc 2.5” bb on wednesday. they're a rc dealer and are doing it for $150 so i figured what the heck. it’ll be nice to have it done while I’m at work anyway.

ordering 1.75” spidertrax spacers this week. still looking for a great deal on some 285/75 r 16’s. guess ill run the 225’s for another week or so. i wonder if they’ll be too wide for the stock wheels?
its painful to look at the 225’s so i can't imagine waiting too much longer.

ill post some pics of the lift before and after so guys can see what difference it made.

i got the entry kit (coil spacers, shock mount extensions and brake line mount extensions).
planning on seeing how it rides first, then adding on other pieces to the lift as i go. prob start with longer sway bar links i guess.
ill prob waste a little money nickel and diming myself, but i can live with that. gives me stuff to do plus i can tell the difference made from each modification, opposed to addling like 8 things all at once.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Welcome to the club bud! I have the same color as you, also running a 2.5bb with rubicon springs and shocks, ask the shop that's installing yours if they have any rubi take offs, usually they do, and if they are cool they'll throw them in for free, I also have the spiderweb shade (best mod ever) and I'm waiting to get some tires later this month, prolly gonna go with the 33" Dunlop fierce attitudes, I've heard nothing but good things about them. Welcome to your new addiction!

Name:	image-1589536778.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	364090  
Old 09-09-2012, 09:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for the welcome rufus

did the rubi take offs give you any extra height?
ill make sure and ask my shop about them...
Old 09-10-2012, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

I would skip the 33's, and save your money and do the 37's and a good lift at he same time. I never saw the point of doing things twice...
Old 09-10-2012, 06:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
I would skip the 33's, and save your money and do the 37's and a good lift at he same time. I never saw the point of doing things twice...

ryan, i would usually agree, however that would also mean i would have to regear first ($1k?). plus i don’t think my stock axles can take 37’s so id have to do those too ($1k?). plus the nice 4” lift ($1k) and aftermarkets wheels too ($600). thats all just so i can run 37’s. ill do all that eventually but since I’ve only had the jeep a 2 weeks but there are other things i feel like i need to do first. the 37’s aren't just for looks. they’ll be for trails and if i only have ground clearance but not armor or lighting or ways to carry a spare, etc etc then the 37’s are kind of putting the carriage before the horse a little bit. i would want them to be functional (and look bad*ss)

but i do agree it sometimes sucks to do things twice. the little lift and 33’s is more to keep me satisfied/pacified while i complete all the other mods i mentioned above (in preparation for the bigger tires).
who knows maybe I’m "doing this wrong”, but ill still get to the same state eventually.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Took a few shots of the exhaust modification this morning and a quick video of it firing up and in cab driving. I'll post them this evening.
Can't seem to get my iPhone to upload them to the site.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Westtexasjku
Took a few shots of the exhaust modification this morning and a quick video of it firing up and in cab driving. I'll post them this evening.
Can't seem to get my iPhone to upload them to the site.
Yeah I'm sitting at a little bit over 3" and it's a much better ride..
Old 09-10-2012, 07:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Rufus
With your rc 2.5" BB do you feel like you need longer sway bar links?
I'm looking at a set of skyjacker ones for the rear for jeeps w 2-3" lifts.
I was thinking about putting those on the rear and moving the factory rear ones to the front.
Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: 1st time wrangler owner - build thread