Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

1st post! Looking for some wheels

Old 08-13-2011, 09:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st post! Looking for some wheels

Hey guys,
new to the whole jeep scene and I was hoping you could help me out with my wheel selection..
After doing some forum and google searches on the topic of running 35s on a 100% stock jeep I still haven't found a definitive answer, so

-Pro Comp Series 7069(flat black) in 16x8
and
-315/75R16 Tires

Would this setup work? If not what would be necessary to eliminate any rub.

The reason for the 35s is I eventually plan on going with a lift but I would really like to get new wheels first, I have the most basic ones :/

Thanks ahead of time!
Old 08-13-2011, 10:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How are you planning on using your Jeep? If you are just going to keep it on the street and some dirt road you can get away with very little mods. If you are going to be doing some articulation then you will need to do a lot more. So tell us about your plans and welcome to the forum.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:32 AM
JK Newbie

For right now it's mainly going to be used as a DD. Down the road and once I get a lift I may look into a bit of off roading.
The wheels I picked out have 4" bs.
Is cutting the fenders necessary?
Old 08-14-2011, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

If you plan on taking it off road you will need a lift or trimmed/flat fenders or you will have rubbing issues
Old 08-14-2011, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just went through some of this. Pro comp apparently isn't making many rims right now and everyone told me it owuld be December or so. I checked 15-17 inch sizes. I ultimately called discount tire direct and got the MB72 in 15 inch to go with 33 inch 12.5 inch duratracs (load rated c )

Good luck on the search. I just found that unless you want to go real bling bling for more money, the options in stock are limited.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd suggest installing a set of coilspring spacers, commonly called a "budget boost". These are very inexpensive and will allow you to fit 35's with most aftermarket wheels. As for wheel sizes, I think a 9 inch wide wheel with 4.5 inches of backspacing looks and works best for JK's.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:59 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the help guys!

As for a "budget boost" how much do most places typically charge for the install? I'd do it myself, but after the hassle my homeowners association gave me for working on my two previous mustangs I'd rather just go somewhere and skip the hassle..
Old 08-14-2011, 06:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, my dealer installed mine at no charge as part of our deal when we purchased our JKU. But I checked at my local shop beforehand and he told be $250 for the installation and an alignment.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SilverJK2010
Thanks for all the help guys!

As for a "budget boost" how much do most places typically charge for the install? I'd do it myself, but after the hassle my homeowners association gave me for working on my two previous mustangs I'd rather just go somewhere and skip the hassle..
You could post up on this forum that you need a place to install a budget boost and I bet you get a response. I have had people over at my house to work on their Jeep and it is a good time.

Quick Reply: 1st post! Looking for some wheels