Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

16" wheels on a Rubicon?

Old 02-26-2009, 05:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
theres no way this is correct

Rubicon and X models are the same thing. both the D44 and D30 use the same outters on the axle.

Does a Rubicon have larger brakes than an X that would cause rubbing?

I've seen more jeeps on here with 17's than 16's, is t there a reason people are running larger wheels? I had a TJ eight years ago and back then everyone was running 15's.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:50 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Rubi 2sday
Does a Rubicon have larger brakes than an X that would cause rubbing?

I've seen more jeeps on here with 17's than 16's, is t there a reason people are running larger wheels? I had a TJ eight years ago and back then everyone was running 15's.
nope, everything is the same as the D30.

Jeep put 16 and 17's on factory is why your seeing the bigger rims,

Some 15's will fit, some wont
Old 03-04-2009, 03:13 PM
JK Newbie

Larger wheels are required on JK because it needed larger brakes than the TJ.

Larger brakes were needed because:
1. The JK is heavier than the TJ (bigger vehicle, stricter impact regs, more standard content).
2. More was expected from the JK braking performance, than TJ.
3. JK had to meet stricter federal braking requirements than TJ.

Also, as has been stated above, ride and handling targets also dictate wheel size.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ralfs56
Larger wheels are required on JK because it needed larger brakes than the TJ.
This is the common knowledge misinformation that gets passed around as fact and spouted by the guys across the counter at the tire store. It sounds so authoritative, but is simply incorrect. Since JK Rubicons came with 17" wheels, it must be the smallest that fit. WRONG. This forum has much more knowledgeable folks than your local tire shoppe, or even your local 4x4 specialty store. You do have to sift through the chaff, however to find the truth.

A great many of us know from experience that 15" wheels do fit. If those guys behind the counters ever tried it, they would know too. If all they do is look at the manufactures spec chart, then it will say no, and usually be wrong.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default I have 16's

Just so you know, I have a Rubicon and 16" ProComp wheels with 4.5" of backspacing. They fit fine with no problems whatsoever. I used to have an 07 X and tried 15" Cragar steelies with 5" of backspacing. They did not fit. But to answer the initial question, yes, 16" wheels will fit on a Rubicon.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by LemonTwist
This is the common knowledge misinformation that gets passed around as fact and spouted by the guys across the counter at the tire store. It sounds so authoritative, but is simply incorrect. Since JK Rubicons came with 17" wheels, it must be the smallest that fit. WRONG. This forum has much more knowledgeable folks than your local tire shoppe, or even your local 4x4 specialty store. You do have to sift through the chaff, however to find the truth.

A great many of us know from experience that 15" wheels do fit. If those guys behind the counters ever tried it, they would know too. If all they do is look at the manufactures spec chart, then it will say no, and usually be wrong.

Oh boy, where do I start???
You read what you wanted to read, so I'll start by sifting thru a little chaff for you and painting the picture a little more clearly.

You infer that I am a counter jockey at a tire store, or at the very least do not know anything because you've notice that I am an FNG (long time lurker).....Until recently I was the brake engineer on the JK. I was on the program from the initial idea for a new Wrangler, until last year...(2003 - 2008). I guess that I could be considered the most authoratative source on JK brakes that you will find.

I'll agree with you about inexperienced parts guys / tire guys at the big box stores..if it's not in the computer, they are generally useless.......

The smallest wheel size is dictated by the size of the brake package required to meet corporate and federal braking requirements on the worst case vehicle configuration (factored for GVW, C.G. height, tire size, etc.). JK has 1 foundation brake system, all calipers and rotors are the exact same on X, Rubicon, and Sahara. If you've done your homework, you will know that the smallest FACTORY wheel offered on a TJ was a 15" and the smallest FACTORY wheel on a JK is 16" (X pkg). LARGER WHEELS ARE REQUIRED ON JK BECAUSE IT NEEDED LARGER BRAKES THAN THE TJ. .

Why were larger brakes needed? Because:
1. The JK is heavier than the TJ (bigger vehicle, stricter impact regs, more standard content).
2. More was expected from the JK braking performance, than TJ.
3. JK had to meet stricter federal braking requirements than TJ.

17" on Rubicon and 18" on Sahara had nothing to do with the brakes. On-road handling and styling whims rule for the larger diameter wheels. If you so desire ( and can stand the ridicule), you can mount factory 16" wheels to your Rubicon or Sahara and live happily ever after.

For those that find a 15" wheel to fit a JK, great. For those that have tried 15's and they interfere with the brakes, please do not grind the caliper. Get a thin spacer instead, or the best course is to find a different wheel that fits without interference. Not entirely sure why you think you need 15's, (is that extra 1/2" of sidewall on a 35 or 37 really going to make or break you??) but Happy Wheelin anyway!
Old 03-08-2009, 07:41 PM
JK Junkie

love my 16's
no issues.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:06 PM
JK Super Freak

You infer that I am a counter jockey at a tire store, or at the very least do not know anything because you've notice that I am an FNG (long time lurker).....Until recently I was the brake engineer on the JK. I was on the program from the initial idea for a new Wrangler, until last year...(2003 - 2008). I guess that I could be considered the most authoratative source on JK brakes that you will find.
Great to have you on board. Getting info straight from the horses mouth is always the best.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:26 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by LemonTwist
... This forum has much more knowledgeable folks than your local tire shoppe, or even your local 4x4 specialty store ...
...Until recently I was the brake engineer on the JK. ...
Wow. Really hit that nail right on the head.

Back on topic: I know that Torn is running 15s and 35s on his Rubicon. Here's a pic of his rig:

Old 03-09-2009, 03:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not entirely sure why you think you need 15's, (is that extra 1/2" of sidewall on a 35 or 37 really going to make or break you??) but Happy Wheelin anyway!
Welcome to the board. I think all the points you mentioned regarding the JK brakes are very valid, and obvious to anyone who thinks about it. I think it's also obvious that even though the brakes are bigger, a 17" wheel is not NEEDED to clear them.

Regarding why people want to run 15's, I think it's because they are so much cheaper. A 15" Crager wheel is $40. Tires for 15 inch wheels are $70-80 less for each tire. Also, there are almost no options for a C-Rated tire bigger than 32's on a larger wheel. Who wants to ride around on tires with an E load rating?

Quick Reply: 16" wheels on a Rubicon?