Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

16 in vs 17 in Wheels

Old 08-02-2012, 10:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 16 in vs 17 in Wheels

I am looking to put new wheels and tires on a 2012 JK and I just don't know if there is an advantage or disadvantage to 17in vice 16 in wheels both will end up with a 35 in tire on them. I have a feeling it is just pref but I though I would use my "ask the experts" life line.

Thanks in advance for you comments, advice, and sarcasm
Old 08-02-2012, 10:45 AM
JK Junkie

17's have more clearance for aftermarket steering components and brakes, plus, the larger tire sizes are more available for a 17" wheel. "The industry" seems to be moving toward 17's.

16" tires are less expensive and some people like the taller sidewall the smaller wheel diameter gives for a given tire height.

That's it.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:46 AM
JK Freak

17's make sense if you plan to ever go larger than a 35" tire because you cannot get a 37" on anything smaller. Otherwise you can run a 15" or 16" rim just fine up to a 35". A 15" actually makes the most sense for a 35" tire because the added sidewall height helps on the trail and the tires are cheaper. Only issue with 15's on a JK is you need to be carefull because not all wheels will clear your brakes in this size. As for 16's to primary issue is less choices as compared to 15's when selecting both rims and tires.

Quick Reply: 16 in vs 17 in Wheels