Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

16 inch Alloy wheels

Old 06-21-2008, 07:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 16 inch Alloy wheels

Guys am planning to get 16 inch alloy wheels form Pro-Comp...for use with size 34 inch mud tires since 17 mud inch tires are not so usual in htis side of the world...Has anyone in the forum gone this way? appreciate your feedbacks and suggestions...
Old 06-21-2008, 07:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Smart move to go down in wheel size. You'll get a lot more choice and cheaper tires that way.

I wish Jeep hadn't gone with the fashion trend towards bigger and bigger wheels. If I had the $$$, I would switch to smaller wheels too.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is the way I went. I tend to do the opposite of most people. It does save you on tires in the long run. You want be sorry. Procomp wheels are really nice.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We ordered our new 16" Series 1079 Polished Pro Comp Wheels and Mickey Thompson Baja Claw 35's today!

5 day's till they arrive...

OK one thing I don't understand. If you buy larger wheel size the price goes up. More metal to make the wheel understandable right. But...........

If you buy a 35" tire for 15" rim it's a lot cheaper than a 35" tire for a 17" rim. So if you use less rubber to make a tire it will cost you more??

Sounds fishy to me..........
Old 06-21-2008, 09:55 PM
JK Newbie

I don't get that kind of pricing either. less rubber but costs more..Must be the "in-fashion"???

Thanks for your helpful inputs guys...!
Old 06-21-2008, 10:28 PM
JK Freak

Apparently 15" and 16" wheels are out of style like bell-bottom jeans and platform shoes, hence the price reduction on tires in those sizes (they're on clearance!). This goes along with the laws of supply and demand. It seems like all the new trucks come standard with 18" wheels nowadays, so right now tire companies are gauging the market's demand for 18" tires, and then they adjust their cost/supply accordingly, but not before first holding out on us as long as they can. This period of pseudo uncertainty of demand is when the customer gets raped. Take right now, for example. If you want to wrap your 18" wheels with 35" mud tires you'll probably be paying well over $1500 for a set of five.

The next-gen Wrangler is going to come standard with 18" wheels, you watch.

Quick Reply: 16 inch Alloy wheels