Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Old 05-02-2018, 05:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 16

Hello can I put 16's on my 2018 4 door wrangler jk. I am being told different things by vendors. I want a small wheel and a thick fat tire. I was thinking a wheel like this

https://www.4wd.com/p/pro-comp-97-se...PQMS=16+Inches
Old 05-02-2018, 05:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You can fit 15's and 16's, but don't. If you ever upgrade your brakes or tie rod, the small wheels will cause fitment issues. Just go with 17's. There is no advantage to going with smaller wheels.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:53 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Wandell
You can fit 15's and 16's, but don't. If you ever upgrade your brakes or tie rod, the small wheels will cause fitment issues. Just go with 17's. There is no advantage to going with smaller wheels.

I have a lease and wont be upgrading anything So a 16 will fit? I like the look of the smaller wheel with the bigger tire.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:58 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

My 2007 Jeep came from the factory with 16" wheels. I replaced them with 16" wheels and a 4.5" backspace. Currently running Goodyear KO2s 315/75R16. 2.5" coil spring lift with some bit of trimming here and there (may not be necessary on a newer JK). Here it was a couple weeks ago in Teapot Canyon on the way out to The Dollhouse, Maze District, Canyonlands National Park, Utah.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:05 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Whoops, I see someone else posted while I was putting my own response together. Wandell's is correct that you won't be able to put on larger brake kits, so if that's in your plans, go with 17s. I have run the Currie CorrectLync tie rod and drag link. They weren't very durable despite their extremely heavy weight (which is why the ends failed so quickly), so replaced with Synergy tie rod and drag link. They work just fine, though you do have to be careful where wheel weights are placed for tire balancing. Placed on the most inner edge of the wheel, up inside the cylinder, and the tie rod end will scrape them off every time that tire is on the passenger front. Other than that miner issue with an easy work-around (put the wheel weights farther outboard), there is no problem with upgraded tie rod (and drag link was never an issue for me).

If you'd like to see my Jeep at work, check out my YouTube channel ...

https://www.youtube.com/user/DigitalByDoiron

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 05-02-2018 at 06:16 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Whoops, I see someone else posted while I was putting my own response together. Wandell's is correct that you won't be able to put on larger brake kits, so if that's in your plans, go with 17s. I have run the Currie CorrectLync tie rod and drag link. They weren't very durable despite their extremely heavy weight (which is why the ends failed so quickly), so replaced with Synergy tie rod and drag link. They work just fine, though you do have to be careful where wheel weights are placed for tire balancing. Placed on the most inner edge of the wheel, up inside the cylinder, and the tie rod end will scrape them off every time that tire is on the passenger front. Other than that miner issue with an easy work-around (put the wheel weights farther outboard), there is no problem with upgraded tie rod (and drag link was never an issue for me).

If you'd like to see my Jeep at work, check out my YouTube channel ...

https://www.youtube.com/user/DigitalByDoiron

I wont be upgrading anything except the wheels and tires.If I did go with 17 which would look more beefy

255/75/17 or 285/70/17 is there much of a difference between these two ? The cost is a lot more on the 285's

Last edited by brucepancake; 05-02-2018 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:36 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,686 Posts

Originally Posted by brucepancake
I did go with 17 which would look more beefy 255/75/17 or 285/70/17 is there much of a difference between these two ? The cost is a lot more on the 285's
From a looks perspective, I think the almost 1" wider 285 is going to be more noticeable than the slightly taller profile. I think what you're trying to accomplish here is looking like you have a larger tire without actually increasing the size a whole lot. Makes sense if you aren't going to be modding this lease vehicle....in which case the 16" wheel I would agree is going to make that tire appear a little bigger than it really is....and as mentioned, if you like the look, you could even get away with 15". It's just not something most on here do cuz they're in for a longer haul of modding, and those sizes just don't accommodate the planned upgrades down the road. For you, not an issue.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:05 PM
JK Newbie

I think I’m going to do a 285/75/16. What do you guys think. Is that too much? And thanks for your responses so far. I appreciate it
Old 05-02-2018, 12:10 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,686 Posts

Is that too much?
Nah...now THIS is getting to be a bit much -

Old 05-02-2018, 01:46 PM
JK Newbie

I think I’m going to do a 285/75/16. What do you guys think. Is that too much? And thanks for your responses so far. I appreciate it

I had a guy at morris just told me the biggest I can without a lift is 265/75 r 16. Is that correct?