Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

16 or 17in wheels with 33in tires?

Old 05-15-2008, 08:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tricked919
The only benefit I see to 17's is if there's a wheel you like that only comes in 17 - otherwise, with the quality tires we have access to, there is little to NO drivability difference and 16's are a H3LL of a lot cheaper and more options.
I've had both 16's and 17s and with as much of a pig as the wrangler is, you're not going to get any extra handling improvements with a 17.

I went with the AEV 16's and 33" Hankook Dynapro MT tires. A set of 5 (wheels and tires) cost me just over $1500. I have 25,000 miles on them without rotating and they are wearing great, they're quiet and SOLID off road. They probably have probably seen 200 miles on Tellico alone.
A lot of people sell their stock wheels, and with that money and the money they save on tires they will eventually pay off those wheels. I think the Rubicon should have come with 16" wheels, but the market is moving towards 17s and 18s and Jeep followed the market trend for one reason or another.

By the way, your Jeep looks DANG good.

Quick Reply: 16 or 17in wheels with 33in tires?