Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

15" Steelies vs 15" Aluminium

Old 04-04-2014, 05:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 15" Steelies vs 15" Aluminium

I have been researching for quite a while on which direction to head for wheels. I know the blanket statement "Aluminium is better" but why?

My budget for wheels and tires is very tight. My end goal is 15" wheels with 33x12.50 Wrangler Duratracs. I can get 5 15x8 ProComp 51s from Quadratec for $224 shipped and 5 15x8 Level 8 Trackers from DTD for $445 shipped. Is it worth the extra $$$ for the aluminium wheels? Also, that price at DTD is without the wheel installation kit, TPMS rebuild kit and valve stems. Do I need those? I have never purchased wheels for a vehicle before (Yeah, Yeah, I know). Anyway, just looking for some input on this.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:24 AM
JK Junkie

Aluminum is less weight so typically it won't be a parasite to your power and MPG's. The steel is something you can bend back if you happen to crash onto a boulder or the curb.

Why not see what DTD can do for your wheels (in steel)? They can order various things that they don't standardly offer. They do offer members here $50 a set of wheels or $100 off a set of wheels and tires. Another option on the wheels is to go check your local tire store, they'll often have the simpler wheels available to order.

The "installation kit" is up to you. I've moved my TPMS multiple times without the rebuild kit before I sold the sensors to someone else. If you go with standard valve stems then I would have DTD do their free mount & balance service which *should* include the rubber stems.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In general aluminum wheels are lighter and tend to be thinner so there is less fitment issues especially when it comes to 15 inch wheels. If you are going to 33 inch tires then your going to need something along the lines of the AEV Procal to calibrate your speedometer. At least in the case of the Procal you can use that to turn off the TPMS. In which case you don't even need TPMS rebuild kits.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is the $50 off to members here on top of the $50 off for ordering online?
Old 04-04-2014, 01:45 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

This one has some info.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/spon...wheels-120933/

5 15x8 ProComp 51s from Quadratec for $224
$45 / each, with a 5x5 pattern for the JK?

Quick Reply: 15" Steelies vs 15" Aluminium