Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

15 in Rims on JK

Old 06-27-2008, 08:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NGINIER
A slight threadjack, nice jeep btw, but with Teflon, does it scratch off and expose the natural aluminum finish in this case or is it chemically bonded like powder coat so when it scratches, it just reveals the same color?
I am afraid I cannot answer the question about what happens when you scratch the teflon. I do know that around the holes where the lugs go through, it does show aluminum, but you dont see it so much with the lugnuts on there....

I also prefer the 15's for two reasons....1. there is more tire than rim, less scratches on the rim and more tire to grab and go over the rocks. 2. 15" tires cost less for some reason

Discount tire did tell me that the 15x8 might be a little to narrow for 35's, and told me I should have gotten 15x10's, they mounted them anyways and told me to "keep an eye" on the where the bead set.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by chumpmann
Discount tire did tell me that the 15x8 might be a little to narrow for 35's, and told me I should have gotten 15x10's, they mounted them anyways and told me to "keep an eye" on the where the bead set.
Forgive me if I'm out of line here 'cause I know DT is a sponsor here and has a strong rep, but this just sounds like someone trying to sell something a little more expensive to (most likely) make some more money off the deal.

Wouldn't the need for a 10" wide wheel be determined more by the tires WIDTH than by the tire's OD? I realize that OD will play a small part in the equation, but wouldn't the width be much more critical?

FWIW, I ran a 33x12.5 on a 15x8 and had zero problems. What should make a 35x12.5 alot different on the same 15x8 wheel?
Old 06-28-2008, 02:44 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by KJRubiconWannaBe
Forgive me if I'm out of line here 'cause I know DT is a sponsor here and has a strong rep, but this just sounds like someone trying to sell something a little more expensive to (most likely) make some more money off the deal.

Wouldn't the need for a 10" wide wheel be determined more by the tires WIDTH than by the tire's OD? I realize that OD will play a small part in the equation, but wouldn't the width be much more critical?

FWIW, I ran a 33x12.5 on a 15x8 and had zero problems. What should make a 35x12.5 alot different on the same 15x8 wheel?
Yeah, I actually would expect the 8" wide to hold the the bead better. You might need to pay more attention to the treadware and adjust air pressure to suit though.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:36 AM
JK Newbie

Is there a difference in caliper size or dimensions between the Rubicon, Sahara, and X models? I have an 08 Rubi and want to run 15's.

Who here is running 15's on a Rubi?

Are you using spacers? Had to grind calipers?
Old 06-28-2008, 04:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RDNKTNKER
Is there a difference in caliper size or dimensions between the Rubicon, Sahara, and X models? I have an 08 Rubi and want to run 15's.

Who here is running 15's on a Rubi?

Are you using spacers? Had to grind calipers?
This has been discussed. Seems it's hit or miss from wheel to wheel. Some grinded to gain clearance and some didn't need to grind with same wheel.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

i run 15x10 Eagle Alloys series 185... look great, shit rims... they started rusting after 1 month, teflon flakes off. 10" rim make the truck looks pretty stout and the little bit more contact on the trail makes a HUGE difference...

i know that gringing calipers has been done for years, but for me i would rather just grind the "dimples" off the back of the Cragars, or run 3/4" spacers. if you ever have a brake issue that needs warranty, i am pretty sure that they would not cover it.

just my $0.02
Old 06-28-2008, 07:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default rubicon with 15s

These are the pro comp 8179 on my Rubicon, they have no rubbing issues. They just had to be strategic about where to place the weights.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:30 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sivan

These are the pro comp 8179 on my Rubicon, they have no rubbing issues. They just had to be strategic about where to place the weights.
What brand 2.5" lift is That? My neighbor has a Jeep like yours with a BDS 3" lift and 33x12.50's on 15's and he doesnt have near the wheel well showing as you.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Tfbb

It is the Terraflex 2.5 Budget Boost.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am currently running 37x12.5 15 on a 15x8 soft 8 wheel with 3.5 backspacing, had to run a 1/4 spacer in front, to pull wheel away from caliper, only rubs in the front, could have grounded but didn't want to go that route, there are different wheels out there that do not rub, just go with what some of the other folks are running, if you try something new just do a test fit, i know the rock crawler street locks don't have a issue, and the d wholes, that is just what a few of my friends put on there jks.

as far as width, had 16x10s with 35 12.5, aired down, not to good about staying seated on bead, same pressure with 37 12.5s on a 8 wide and same air pressure, works well and make for a softer ride.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ba400oFxGw16lq8*uRa1disO7ONTMgVF0HLZ_l.jpg
Views:	15656
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	10377

Quick Reply: 15 in Rims on JK