Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

15" Pro Comp wheels and Goodyear DuraTracs

Old 08-09-2009, 09:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 15" Pro Comp wheels and Goodyear DuraTracs

I guess this could go in Show and Tell, but since these are 15s, I decided to post it here in the mods section. I understand if a mod wants to move it.

I have read lots of posts about the price differences between 18" stock Sahara tires and other, smaller diameter wheel sizes, so I wanted to document my actual experience.

Props here go to planman, RedneckJeep, BryGuy and ryanclimbs for input and advice - - their input was invaluable to my buying decision and success.

My new boots were installed Friday (8/7/09) at my local Discount Tire- - Pro Comp 8179's 15x8 ($102.99) and Goodyear DuraTrac (VERY aggressive tread - never know its an AT) in a 33x12.50x15 C Load Range ($147.00). DT special ordered my wheels and price-matched an online retailer - - no questions asked!

In way of comparison, ONE new 18" DuraTrac was $230......so, for $20 DOLLARS MORE.....I have new tires AND wheels. Plus, I have the C Load 15", rather than the E Load 18" tire.

The 8179s fit with NO MODIFICATIONS to my brake calipers. I have the Dana 30 front axle, which seems to help 15's fit without any mods. And, if you are interested, the DuraTracs ride great, have a small, but pleasant road hum....only gripe at all is they measured 32.25" on a 15X8....I ALMOST went 15x10, but wanted maximum height.....my guess is that would be less than 32" on a 15x10. I would have liked 33 even (the Goodyear site said they would be 32.5, so I should quit bitching).

Since my stocker Sahara Bridgestones were a full 32, no speedo mod for a 1/4 inch, but these tires LOOK 2" taller at min......thanks to the 15" wheel!!! OH......and this wheel and tire weighs LESS than my stockers.....so no unsprung weight issues or horsepower loss trying to turn bigger boots.

Other expenses associated with this, per tire were:

$15 for lifetime balance and rotation
$24.50 for no-hassles tire replacement guarantee
$12.00 to move and "rebuild" the TPMS
$2.94 in BS fees......thanks to the State of NC gov't

I also bought a set of Gorilla Lugnuts....$45 for all 4 wheels and 3 for the spare.

So, if you read this far, you deserve some pics......I love the way it turned out.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Last edited by JeepDawg; 08-09-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:08 AM
JK Freak

looks good man, what is the offset and backspacing on the wheels?
Old 08-09-2009, 10:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thx! BS is 3.75" and the offset is -19mm.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

JeepDawg, I am sooo glad you posted this! I have been racking my brain trying to figure out a similar 15x8 setup that would not rub. I will probably keep my OAD at 32" max though, so that I won't have any speedometer hassles that the dealership won't handle. Where I live I really don't need more clearance than that anyway.

Jason
Old 08-09-2009, 09:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great! How are you liking the duratracs??
Old 08-10-2009, 03:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 09rubicon
Looks great! How are you liking the duratracs??
I love the whole set up!

Discount Tire had to static balance the tires (balances one weight plane - up and down) rather than dynamic balance (balances 2 weight planes - up and down AND side to side). They said the overall geometry of the tire was causing the dynamic balancer to ask for a great deal of weight.....which they new was unnecessary. When balance statically, it took a great deal less. So, they balanced them, I drove it, had the rebalance them, and all seems well now.

The tires were a little stiff at 35 psi, dropped to 32 and they are much better....maybe even too soft, so I will keep playing with psi. At under 5 to 10 mph, you can feel the aggressive tread as you accelerate or decelerate, but I expected and like that. Slight road hum, but only slight.....no single engine plane chasing you everywhere you go! The 12.50 wide makes the steering a little more sluggish at very low speed, but not noticeable at all over 8 to 10 mph.

All in all, couldn't be happier with my purchase!
Old 08-15-2009, 03:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JeepDawg
The 8179s fit with NO MODIFICATIONS to my brake calipers. I have the Dana 30 front axle, which seems to help 15's fit without any mods.
Dana 30 front axle? I'm not sure what I have. I just have a two door X.

I wish there was a DT in Niagara Falls, NY that I could go to.....I LOVE LOVE LOVE this and this is exactly what I want to do with mine.

The 15's just make it. Thank you so much for posting. I'm just scared that if I order the procomp rims and take them to a tire place that I will get hassles.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

You have a Dana 30 front if you have an X. Rubi's have the Dana 44.

Contact discount tire direct here on the forum....they are a sponsor and can hook you up and ship you MOUNTED tires and wheels, balanced, TPMS installed etc....just bolt them on in your driveway!

Or, you can get wheels and tires shipped and take them to a wally world or any tire place to have them mount them. The point is you are about to drop some serious cash....get what you want.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:35 PM
JK Newbie

Default Front Bumper Clearance

This does look good. I see you have an aftermarket bumper...do you happen to know if the tire would clear the stock and still let you turn?

Has anyone else tried it?
Old 10-05-2009, 04:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

I can't say definitively on the stock bumper, but these "33s" measure almost 32 even. My stockers were 32. So, in my opinion.....that near stock height, plus the increased backspacing should clear with no issue....that and my MBRP bumper follows the stock lines for the most part...but does have a higher approach angle.

Quick Reply: 15" Pro Comp wheels and Goodyear DuraTracs