Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

15 inch wheels and MUD...

Old 04-21-2012, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 15 inch wheels and MUD...

So there I was set in stone about ordering some 15 inch MB TKO wheels when I called Northridge about buying some other parts and sterted talking to the guy about my build plan (nice guy) I told him I will be moving to Georgia soon and plan on wheeling in the mud a lot and he said any 15 inch wheel will get mud trapped in there and mess my breaks up amongst other things. So F#@k!!! I am now thinking as alternate plan 17 inch M/T classic locks. What do you guys think about the 15in advice and Mud? Also about the 17in classic locks??
MY jeep
2007 JK X 2 door
Bought not installed:2.5 inch rough country coil lift with stearing stab and front track bar
BW flat fenders
RC hybrid stubby
Superchips flash paq
C's for my gussets
Also hows my build plans for mud wheelin???
Old 04-21-2012, 09:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Almost forgot 35 inch mud tires maybe KM2 or M/T baja MTZ
Old 04-21-2012, 09:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by thecoz
So there I was set in stone about ordering some 15 inch MB TKO wheels when I called Northridge about buying some other parts and sterted talking to the guy about my build plan (nice guy) I told him I will be moving to Georgia soon and plan on wheeling in the mud a lot and he said any 15 inch wheel will get mud trapped in there and mess my breaks up amongst other things. So F#@k!!! I am now thinking as alternate plan 17 inch M/T classic locks. What do you guys think about the 15in advice and Mud? Also about the 17in classic locks??
MY jeep
2007 JK X 2 door
Bought not installed:2.5 inch rough country coil lift with stearing stab and front track bar
BW flat fenders
RC hybrid stubby
Superchips flash paq
C's for my gussets
Also hows my build plans for mud wheelin???
I could see how that would happen with rocks maybe getting in there , but have I heard anyone complain about the issue, NO! Sorry I'm not much help on this one!
Old 04-21-2012, 10:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mud will pack in the back side of the wheel but it will with all sizes i had 15 in wheels on my k5 , bronco and nissan and never damaged my brakes not so sure bout his advice
Old 04-21-2012, 10:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

yea thanks for the advice guys i have had off road vehicles in the past with smaller wheels so yea maybe bad advice i just wanted to run in through the fourm, I think I might go with the M/T classic locks anyone running those?
Old 04-21-2012, 10:32 AM
JK Super Freak

U could always ask the guys in the 15" wheel thread for their opinion!
Old 04-21-2012, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Pretty much everyone back home in Florida ran 15" wheels on their mud trucks and I've never heard of anyone having that issue
Old 04-21-2012, 01:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

I actually have had this issue when I had 15" Cragars on my Jeep. Whenever I would get into thick thick mud, I would have to remove my wheels/tires and clean out the brakes. Went to Hardrock Ocala and played in the mud there. Which is limestone, water, sand......=concrete. Needless to say the next couple of days I heard a scratching noise in my brakes. Removed my wheels and had to take a screwdriver and "chisel" the rock hard mud around and inside my brake calipers.

Note: this only happened when the mud was really really thick. The typical black mud most people wheel in wasn't bad at all with the 15s as I would just spray out the inside of the wheels.

Now I do not know if this was from having 15s or not. I have yet to take my 16s out in the mud yet.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ucfjeep
I actually have had this issue when I had 15" Cragars on my Jeep. Whenever I would get into thick thick mud, I would have to remove my wheels/tires and clean out the brakes. Went to Hardrock Ocala and played in the mud there. Which is limestone, water, sand......=concrete. Needless to say the next couple of days I heard a scratching noise in my brakes. Removed my wheels and had to take a screwdriver and "chisel" the rock hard mud around and inside my brake calipers.

Note: this only happened when the mud was really really thick. The typical black mud most people wheel in wasn't bad at all with the 15s as I would just spray out the inside of the wheels.

Now I do not know if this was from having 15s or not. I have yet to take my 16s out in the mud yet.
That sounds like an issue you would have with any wheel, i know the stuff you're talking about too, it's a PITA!! I'm from about 30 minutes south of Ocala.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I wheel in mud down here in Georgia all the time with 15's! Don't sweat it you'll save yourself enough money by going with 15's in the long run its well worth it, I haven't heard of anyone having brake issues because of mud.... I guess that's why they make so many sizes of swampers for 15" wheels :dunno: hahaha

Quick Reply: 15 inch wheels and MUD...