Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

15 inch wheels?? On 2011 jk unlim???

Old 01-11-2011, 10:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKid22
You guys are the best, is anyone running 33s on a stock jk I was thinking about a leveling kit I'm just worried about voiding the warranty I have an xj I built for off road so the jk will see little to no trail use any one know anything on the warranty issues people are having???

Btw I'm liking the stance with the 3.75 bs
You can run 33s stock as long as the backspacing is right, but you are going to lose articulation. There are plenty of 2.5" BB lifts out there that would do the trick.

According to sales guy i bought both my jeeps from (and he is a personal friend as well) changing the suspension will not void the warranty. Its when you start touching the drive train that you will. I know other have had a different experience, but that's what I have been told.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone out there running a stock jk with 15 inch wheels and 33s that can give me some pointers???
Old 01-11-2011, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 15" rims on a JK

Ok, from my own experience. 15" craiger soft 8's with 4"BS will fit with very minor grinding on the front calipers. The back brakes clear fine. If your debating grinding just do it, it is not enough that anyone would even notice. Plus look at all the money your saving on tires. Heck I used to run 16" craigers with 33's because I didn't want to grind but I got over it. Yes 33's will fit with at least 5" BS on a stock jk.

Last edited by rexicon; 01-11-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was reading about the 15" clearance issues on them and it seems some have to grind and some don't I was just wondering if the guys running them were grinding them and just didn't write it up or if the 1/4 inch you are saving between a 4" bs and the 3.75 bs was that big of a difference because most were writing the rims fit with no issues
Old 01-11-2011, 01:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was reading about the 15" clearance issues on them and it seems some have to grind and some don't I was just wondering if the guys running them were grinding them and just didn't write it up or if the 1/4 inch you are saving between a 4" bs and the 3.75 bs was that big of a difference because most were writing the rims fit with no issues
4" bs will fit fine.... with spidertrax 1.5 spacers.

NO grinding!!
Old 01-11-2011, 03:56 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

That is the issue exactly. Plenty of threads on it, someone even started a big 'ole chart and filled it in with maybe 20 or 25 different peoples setups to try and figure it out. Guess what? No correlations. It is hit and miss. Differences in tolerances straight from the factory. One guy posted that he had a set of 15's on his JK and had no caliper rubbing issues. He swapped those same rims to another JK, and guess what?? They rubbed.

If you go with a 4BS or higher, roll the dice...
Old 01-21-2012, 02:29 PM
JK Newbie

Great info here everyone. I'm thinking of 35's X 12.5 wide tires (BFG KM2's) on 15" X 8" wide wheels for my 2011 JK 4 door Rubi with stock 32's and 17" wheels.

Reasons:
1) Smoother off road ride (more side wall)
2) Less chance of breaking the bead from the wheel when airing down with an 8" wide wheel
3) I Like the look (Black wheels are a must, Flat black preferred but I could live with gloss)
4) Cheaper $$ for the tires (16" tires go up by approx $40 each and 17", lets just say "WTF kind of price is that")

Here's where I need help!
a) I think I will need wheels with a 3.5" BS and purchase 1" wide spacers so the final BS will be 2.5"? (This might prevent having to do #b) below).
b) Possible grinding of the front brake calipers should be expected.
c) Might have trouble finding someone to install the 12.5 wide tires on an 8" wide rim. Make sure whoever mounts the tires does not place the weights
in the region where the calipers are located.
d) Whats the best way to balance? (anything special I should consider or just a normal high speed spin balance would be sufficient)
e) Other?

No lift yet but I did install Bushwacker Flat Fender Flares which gave me 1 3/4" more clearance under the Flares. IMO where I see the most clearance issue will be with the stock Rubi rock rails. I have only about 2" gap with the stock 32's so if I go 35"s I will be down to a 1/2". I've read here about trimming them (which looks easy) but I might also have to trim the pinch seam region of the body bolow where I trimmed the rock rail. That thought has me rolling the bones! It took me a months to get the courage to drill holes to mount the Garvin Wilderness Rack (Drilling holes thru the side of a brand new 2011 Jeep JK doesnt keep me up at night now)

Any and all relevant experiences / data would greatly be appreciated.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:35 PM
MTH
JK Enthusiast

Good lord people . . .

15" alloys usually fit. PM forum sponsor Discount Tire and they'll send you a list of 15" wheels that are guaranteed to fit. It's pretty long, and that's just from DT. I am running 15x8 Black Rock D-Windows with 33x12.5R15 DuraTracs with no fitment issues whatsoever. And nobody has fitment issues with those wheels.

15" steelies like the cragers usually don't fit. You end up needing spacers or having to grind your calipers.

Lifts don't "void" warranties. That's simply not how warranties work. Only odometer tampering voids warranties. Your Chrysler warranty covers the jeep as it was when it left the factory. When you mod it, the warranty will not "cover" the mod itself (eg, the new coils) nor will it "cover" damage resulting from the mod (eg, the driveshaft problems that could result from substantially taller coils). The rest of the warranty stays intact and is in no way "void."

So with warranties, it's an issue of "coverage" not of "voidness."

That's the deal. Make sense?

Last edited by MTH; 01-21-2012 at 03:38 PM.

Quick Reply: 15 inch wheels?? On 2011 jk unlim???