Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

15" Cragers arrived = arghh, the calipers rub

Old 01-16-2009, 07:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J33P JK
I had the same issue with my 15x8 soft 8's. I didn't grind, although it wouldn't have hurt anything. I used pretty much the thinest spacer I could get from Summit and haven't looked back. I've had them on the Jeep for about 30,000 miles.
What is the make/model# of your spacer? All I need is about 1/8" of space to clear the calipers.

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MJS_Jeep_888
I'm running spacers and love the look... the wheels on the Jeep should have been offset to the edges of the fenders, stock, IMO.
Thanks for the input. Do you know the make/model of your spacers?
Old 01-16-2009, 07:12 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 08JKWrangler
Thanks for the input. Do you know the make/model of your spacers?
Spidertrax 1.5" spacers - you'll need two pairs (one for each axle), and they should easily give you the clearance that you need, from the calipers.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:46 PM
JK Freak

well I just bought 15" unique 297s and they didnt rub in the same spot yours did. mine actually rubbed on the outside of the caliper (see in blue)
and it seem to rub too bad for grinding.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:08 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by planman
Hmm. Hadn't heard of that before. What was your backspacing?

Here is a helpful thread from BryGuy:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ghlight=wheels
4" BS. it seemed like the wheel beveled on the inside which cased the interference. thanks for the thread, i was looking for that actually!
Old 09-23-2009, 08:44 PM
JK Newbie

My 16x8" Cragar soft 8s rubbed a tiny bit. I took a dremel and deburred the eight large holes in the area towards the center of the wheel. That was enough to make them clear. Just to be safe, I lightly touched up the front calipers where there was a little "flash" of mismatched seam in the area discribed in another post above.

I have seen 1/8" thick spacers in the 5x5 bolt pattern on ebay for very cheap. They should work too if you don't want to grind.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:42 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Roxster
Don't assume the 16" wheel will take care of the problem. I just put 16" Soft 8's on mine (5" BS) and they rubbed slightly too, despite what others have experienced. I left the tire shop without my new wheels and tires, but went back after a very light touch with the grinder along the outside edge of the calipers.
X2 on this... I went through 2 sets of 16x8s, 4.25" BS - one were RCX Black Steel Wheels and the others were Black Rock Steel Wheels - and both of these, although they don't rub, only cleared the calipers by about an 1/8th of an inch. Haven't decided on whether or not I'm going to grind my calipers down - I probably don't need to since it's not rubbing. Only reason I'd have to do this is to get a lil more clearance. Ran it with a 1.5" RC Spacers for a while, and while it worked fine, it always bothered me that with 4.25" Backspacing and an extra 1.5" Spacers, I was effectively down to 2.75" Backspacing and wasn't sure how much stress this would cause.

In your case, I'd probably just grind the calipers, or like others have suggested, use the smallest amount of spacers needed to gain the clearance you want. Keep us posted on what you end up doing
Old 09-24-2009, 07:47 AM
JK Freak

If I cant grind down the caliper I might try these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ALUMI...Q5fAccessories

Anyone see a problem with the quality? They are 0.5" spacer. Right now my wheels fit with 1.5" spacers but I dont want to put that much stress on the axle.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rballman
If I cant grind down the caliper I might try these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ALUMI...Q5fAccessories

Anyone see a problem with the quality? They are 0.5" spacer. Right now my wheels fit with 1.5" spacers but I dont want to put that much stress on the axle.
I just had to do the same thing and the tire place put those (or very very similar looking) type spacers on my fronts. In fact, they put 2. I guess they didn't have just the 1 that was thick enough. I found out AFTER the fact that my wheels have 4" backspacing with an offset of 25...whatever that means...all I know is the back wheels were fine and the front rubbed the caliper.

A few things to note. With these spacers, it puts the wheel further out on the lug. And with that in mind, I had them NOT install the normal lug nuts. The kind with just a mushroom head. Even though it made 10 full turns. I had them install the type of lug nuts that had about a 1/4 inch "neck" before the mushroom head. what this does is "grab" more lug threads before it hits the mushroom head and is torqued down. This kept me from wanting to install longer lugs which by the way the factory lugs can only be purchased at the dealer with your VIN....don't ask how I know.

But now I know about the grinding method and I just may do that. I'm just worried I may have to grind a lot of the brake caliper since they did use 2. I know there are a few things the "smart" people left off on our Jeeps, but what where the reasons why our brake calipers are as thick as they are? What is an engineering thing, or just a cost thing?

google: Conical Seat/Shank lug nuts and you'll see what I'm talking about
Old 10-23-2009, 12:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Seriously. Grinding: super easy. Do it.

Quick Reply: 15" Cragers arrived = arghh, the calipers rub